cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No migration details, but neighbours have.

RPSPNP
Tuning in

Hi everyone!

I hope someone can help with my question please. We have Virgin broadband and phone. All the neighbours I've talked to on the same street with Virgin Media phone lines have received a letter and a telephone adaptor. We have not received anything yet. Is that normal? Does the whole street get migrated at the same time, or house by house? I presume the former. 

Further, I've read on this forum that the line can be extended between the Virgin router and the telephone, if, as in our case, the router is upstairs and the phone base downstairs. Is this just a telephone extension cable, or is there some wireless or powerline solution that Virgin are offering?

If someone from Virgin can PM me, I'd be happy to share my account details so the switchover date can be checked.

Thank you all.

5 REPLIES 5

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @RPSPNP,

Firstly welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

With regards to the switchover we do switch the entire area over at once, you should receive communication soon for this. With regards to how your phone will work, we can provide a technician to the property to look into wiring the house for you but in majority of cases we would ask you to move the phone closer to the Hub.

You can find all information regarding the switchover here.

Thanks. Joe

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@RPSPNP wrote:

Hi everyone!

<snip>

Further, I've read on this forum that the line can be extended between the Virgin router and the telephone, if, as in our case, the router is upstairs and the phone base downstairs. Is this just a telephone extension cable, or is there some wireless or powerline solution that Virgin are offering?

If someone from Virgin can PM me, I'd be happy to share my account details so the switchover date can be checked.

Thank you all.

You do not have to move your phone to your hub location.

Process of how your extension sockets might be linked to the hub is explained below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/New-fibre-landline/m-p/5306859#M190955

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process. It might be done as a separate visit after the switchover is completed so the old incoming phone from the street line can be disconnected from the old telephone master socket.

RPSPNP
Tuning in

Thank you both Joseph_B and goslow for your responses, I appreciate your time.

I should have said in my original post that my neighbours have had their adaptors for over 2 months now, so I'm worried that mine might have been lost in the post. Is there anyway I can check when the switchover date for my area is? That way I know how long I have left to get an adaptor.

I have read through the links that you both sent, and I now understand how multiple internal telephone sockets can be linked by a Virgin engineer, once the external line is severed. However, we only have one telephone socket downstairs, with one cordless telephone. So I think the solution for us will be to buy a new cordless telephone with 2 bases, so the main base can be upstairs next to the Virgin hub, and the second base downstairs. Running an extension cable from the hub to downstairs I suppose is also an option, but more hassle than just buying a new phone with 2 bases and 2 handsets. 

One other less relevant question please, because I'm curious. I always thought that Virgin used it's own network for TV, phone and broadband, so completely independent of BT's telephone lines that connect from telegraph poles to houses. If so, could the switchover not be done at the street cabinet? Connecting the telephone lines to the fibre network at at the street cabinet? I presume from my house, a coax and a telephone line go under the street to the street cabinet, or is there only one coax cable that leaves the house to the cabinet?

Thank you both again. Hope someone can clarify that last question! Thanks. 

Hey @RPSPNP,

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Great to hear you understand what you need to do to get the phones working how you like. With regards to the date of the switchover, I am unable to provide that information out to you publicly, the letters will be processing for your whole area you do just need to be patient, you will get your letter within plenty of time of the swap happening. 

With regards to your later question, the property only has one Coax cable going to the property, that's where your Hub is currently plugged in, the phone line is still connected via the old leads, hence when the system switches over there is only one lead into the property which is why we advise locating your phone next to the Hub where possible.

Hope this clarifies things further for you.

Thanks. Joe

RPSPNP
Tuning in

Thank you for your further reply Joe. I guess I just have to wait for a letter and the adaptor. I am hoping that my mistake I've not been left out, or my letter got lost in the post, otherwise I will be without a phone connection for a few days whilst an adaptor is sent to me if the switchover happens before these arrive. I find it surprising that I cannot find the switchover date from you by PM or or online, I don't think that that is sensitive information, but if that's Virgin's policy, then I have to abide. 

Thanks again for your time and help, it's much appreciated.