Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No landline service available

Hello

I have had no dialing tone on my landline (Abingdon, Oxfordshire) since at least last Wednesday:

• Service status test shows no faults
  • Testing another phone still doesn't work
  • Connections all checked inside and outside; nothing loose.

I can see from the forum that this is not an isolated case. As reported elsewhere in recent days, when someone calls me I can see their number appear on my handset but there is no ringing and, when I answer, the person calling me doesn't know I've picked up.

I am thus unable to receive incoming or make outgoing calls.

An engineer is welcome to come out and check the outside unit but this would seem to be a bit of waste of time as the situation is indicative of a wider fault with Virgin's landline service. 

Can someone confirm if a wider issue is being addressed? In the meantime, what steps can be taken to compensate for loss of landline service?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: No landline service available

Hi PM_Burns1, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue sorted, I'd like to try and help.

Having checked from my side, there are no known issues in your area, so can you please try the below instructions for me - 

Can I ask how your phone line is plugged into the wall - is it through a main socket or extension socket?

Also, can I ask how many devices are connected to the phone line? (Modems, fax machines, other phones etc.)

Furthermore, can you remove any other devices (If any) that are connected to the phone line just to see if this makes an improvement.

Let me know how you get on and we'll go from there.

Kind regards, 

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan

It is connected direct to a wall socket and there are no other devices attached to the phone line.

I think that from other people reporting similar issues via the forum, nothing has ever shown up in a status check but that was the first thing I also did.

Thanks for following up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for getting back to us PM_Burns1

I would like to help you further. To enable me to do this, I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the screen.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm glad to report that in fact an engineer was able to fix the issue, having come out to investigate and found a problem at the exchange. Thanks to the Virgin Media customer support team for following up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for updating us PM_Burns1 and happy to hear that its has been resolved by the engineer visit.

Please let us know if you experience any more issues.

Regards,

Lisa

0 Kudos