Menu
MartinH1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No dialling tone

Virgin testing says line is engaged but it isn't. There are broadband and TV issues in the area but landlines not mentioned. Could phone problem be related but virgin not aware? Can't get anywhere with online help.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
chaoshusky
Dialled in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: No dialling tone

Could be, though i had this problem for about 5 years but that's besides the point..

How is your land line connected? To a BT-style box on the wall or into the back of your Router? Either way, if the service is down and these days your phone is also supplied via the co-ax feed, this will also most likely stop your land line working! Engineers may already be on their way to a defective piece of hardware/cabinet..

You have managed to post here so i assume your Broadband is working, unless you used your mobile? Is your TiVo box working too? Is there another handset or phone in the house that could be faulty or has been left off the hook?

Kind regards,

Lee

0 Kudos
MartinH1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying. Connection direct to box on the wall. Yes - broadband and Tivo working although internet on and off this morning (on at the moment). I've checked other phones not 'off-hook'. Just have to wait and see what happens I guess. I really can't find my way round the Virgin site to log the problem without going round in endless circles!

Kind regards
Martin

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Martin, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry to hear about the issues with your services. As the phone line isn't running via the hub we can arrange for an engineer to look into the phone line fault. 

I will get in touch via PM so we can get that sorted, just look out for the purple envelope and we'll take it from there.

Tom

MartinH1
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That's great - thanks Tom. When our internet went down some months ago an engineer rerouted that cable round the house but only did temporary connections which now need to be replaced with the permanent connectors. The phone line wasn't touched and maybe that's now suffered the same fate as the 'old' internet cable. But I am still wondering whether the phone problem is linked with the internet and TV outages in the area (although in our case they now seem to have been fixed). Hope all this makes sense. Many thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for your reply Martin, you will find confirmation of the appointment via your online account (virg.in/myVM) & can reschedule from there if needed.

I'm sure the engineer will be happy to look at the cabling issue as well, if they're not able to help with everything on the visit please let us know.

Tom 

MartinH1
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks
0 Kudos
Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No problem @ MartinH1.

Happy to help 🙂

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
MartinH1
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Engineers discovered it was the phone itself that was faulty. They fixed the cabling connection for me and are coming back next week to fix the rerouted cable to the wall. So thank you for your help in getting the engineer appointment so quickly.

However another problem. This morning Outlook won't connect to my Virgin mailbox. I have a blueyonder address and another post told me to update my pop and smtp settings from blueyonder to virgin and change various other sewttings which I did according to virgin's own instructions and it worked - until this morning when it doesn't. Says authentication failed. Am I doing something wrong or doesn't virgin like blueyonder any more?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @MartinH1 

Thank you for coming back to us. 

I am sorry to hear that you are with your email address, are you able to access your email if you log in directly though the virgin media website.

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos