Menu
Hamrag
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

No dial tone

I have no dial tone when I plug a phone into a converter to port 1 of the hub. Service status is all good. My Hub shows "Telephony Disabled", how do I get this enabled?

0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: No dial tone

@Hamrag wrote:

I have no dial tone when I plug a phone into a converter to port 1 of the hub. Service status is all good. My Hub shows "Telephony Disabled", how do I get this enabled?

Some further clarification of your situation and setup may help get you an answer ...

Are you a new customer to VM or an existing one?

Do you pay for a landline phone service as part of your VM package/monthly fee (some past posts from broadband-only customers have assumed they would get the phone service too for free)?

If you do pay for the landline, have you ever made use of the landline before in the past?

Do you have any conventional telephone wall sockets in your home and have you tried those for any dial tone (assuming you should have the service available)?

The phone service via the hub is the default method for new customers and is being rolled out in different areas as part of a planned programme by VM. Existing customers might be able to get the landline service via the VM hub but, based on past posts on here, might depend on your area as to availability.

0 Kudos
Hamrag
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I am an existing customer (of ~30 years actually if we include Videotron/NTL) and I've had the Internet+TV+Phone package since at least 2016. I've never used the VM phone line, I didn't actually want it, but it was cheaper to have it and not use it, than not have it. I remember having a lively discussion about that.

I have a BT line (>25 years) which I use daily. I don't think that's relevant as it's a different cable to the road. But I do have a BT socket on the wall and the cable out to the road was replaced about 10 years ago when a builder chopped the line (it was only 10cm down).

Regarding VM, I have Internet+TV working fine but no phone service. I have a converter plugged into port 1 of the hub, a phone plugged into that, but get no dial tone. The hub reports "Telephony Disabled". How do I get this enabled?

0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@hamrag

The VM forum team should be able to advise what phone options are available to you.

This might be activating the telephone port on the hub or might be installing a VM phone socket for you. Your situation might actually be classed as a 'fault' in not having a working phone socket, requiring a technician to fit one. Enabling the hub phone port might also require a technician visit.

There are some differences in the phone service via the VM hub which are mentioned here in a recent topic if you are not aware of them and if any of those concerns affect your setup

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Landline-adapter-for-HUB-4/m-p/4743196#M154572

The forum team will pick this up shortly. They normally respond on here in a few days but can take up to a week.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @Hamrag 

Welcome back to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your services. 

I have taken a look over your account and can see that you are not currently a CV21 customer and your landline is connected via the traditional wall socket.

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Hamrag
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zak,

Forgive me for my ignorance; my BT landline is a wall socket, I don't have a VM landline wall socket. Since I've had the TV+Internet+Phone service for many years, does that mean I've never actually had the phone service at all? I always assumed I've had a BT and a VM line concurrently.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for coming back to me. 

Do you pay BT for a landline? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Hamrag
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yes I do.

Given the BT number can be ported, I no longer need two services.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for coming back to me. 

Essentially, you currently have 2 number connected to your traditional wall socket.

If you would like me to arrange for a porting of your BT number to the VM landline I can do that for you. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Hamrag
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yes, let's do that.

0 Kudos