cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dial tone on landline and engaged when called from another

DaveEagles
Tuning in

This happens every time we have electrical storms.

something must affect equipment somewhere in the VM network. Every time I report it I get the usual questions like checking equipment at me end etc. Eventually an engineer is booked but ai get told that if the fault is diagnosed as being my phone I’ll have to pay every time the fault is mysteriously fixed remotely. 

My phone is plugged into a socket and the cable goes from my house to the green street cabinet about 20m away. Could this be because I’m on a copper circuit? 
I have a hub 3 I think so would an adapter work?

Also if there is anyone from VM reading this can you IM me so I can get my problem fixed please? Although with storms forecast it’s odds on it’ll happen again.

thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @DaveEagles,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some landline connection issues! 

Have you taken a look at our Landline Help page to see if this can help rectify your issue? 

I'll be happy to help investigate this issue further for you and send a Private Message to confirm a few details. Please keep an eye out for an envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I'll be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @DaveEagles,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some landline connection issues! 

Have you taken a look at our Landline Help page to see if this can help rectify your issue? 

I'll be happy to help investigate this issue further for you and send a Private Message to confirm a few details. Please keep an eye out for an envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I'll be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

DaveEagles
Tuning in

Thanks Paulina_Z

Yes I have been through the checks etc recommended on the Landline Help page. I do this every time the fault occurs, which is normally after thunder and lightning in the area. The fault has always been fixed remotely, usually after an engineer has been booked but always before he arrives.

I will look for the envelope.

regards

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @DaveEagles,

Thank you for coming back to me via private message and confirming your details. I have now booked you a technician visit for your landline issue – you can check and amend the date and time of your appointment via your online account.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.
Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes and if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @DaveEagles,

Thanks for coming back to me via Private Message. I've been able to reschedule the appointment for the same time, but on the date that you requested.

This information should be showing on your online account soon.

Let us know how the appointment goes.

Thanks! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

DaveEagles
Tuning in

Many thanks for your help, I will let you know what happens.

in every other instance though the fault gets mysteriously fixed by someone remotely

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @DaveEagles,

Keep us updated on how you get on and if you need the appointment cancelling at any point. We're here if you need us.

Thanks! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Hello,

As in numerous previous issues I now have a dial tone.

There is no point in sending an engineer.

I would like to know though whether it’s possible or even worth plugging my existing phone into my Hub3?

I have no doubt that the next time there are electrical storms that the problem will come back.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @DaveEagles,

Glad to hear that your landline is back up and running! I'll send you a Private Message to amend your appointment and look into a Home Phone Switchover for you. 

Keep an eye out for an envelope at the top right corner of your page and I'll be in touch soon! 

Thanks! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @DaveEagles,

Thank you for coming back to me via private message and confirming your details. I have now booked you a technician visit for your switchover query – you can check and amend the date and time of your appointment via your online account.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.
Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes and if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team