cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dial tone, incoming calls ring but not able hear caller

T_W
Joining in

Don't use the landline that often, but today it rang, when answered it appeared that no-one was there.  As soon as we hung up it immediately rang again, no-one on the other end, in fact it sounded very crackly like the ringing sound we would get if we were making, not receiving a call.  Specifically asked someone (via internet which) to call the landline.  They tried twice and it rang until cut off both times.  The phone did ring for us - but like above no-one there and the sound of us making a call.  If I try to make a call there is no dial tone - any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi T_W,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your landline, we appreciate how frustrating this can be especially when its not working as it should do.

As we will need to do process of elimination first can we ask if you have tried another handset in the master socket? Also if you have any extension sockets please can you make sure these are all unplugged and you just try the main handset in the master socket.

Please can you try the above first and if you still require assistance please come back to us so we can hep you further.

Kind regards Jodi

Jodi,

I only have an old rotary dial phone, but I tried that in the master socket and there was no dial tone, it sounded like an open line - however if there was a line open anyone calling would get an engaged tone (I think) and when we tested this the caller said it just rang until it rang off (didn't go to answerphone).  Don't think we have any extension sockets, only use the one master one.  One thing I did notice today when I tried to see if we had a dial tone, I tried putting in a number and for a brief moment the handset flashed up four dashes - a bit like when you need a pin number for something, it quickly disappeared and then it showed the number I was trying to dial.

Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for the information T_W. 

It sounds like there may be a fault on the line in this case, I'll pop you over a private message to pass security and book in an appointment for you.

Thanks, Emily.

I have the same issue....no other extensions and borrowed a phone and that did not work either? If I could get some assistance I would be grateful

Thanks

Hi MrR07,

Thanks for posting on the Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're also experiencing the same issue with your landline. I've been able to locate your account and your landline service is showing as uncontactable, so we'd need to arrange an engineer visit so that this can be resolved.

I'll pop you over a PM now so I can take some details and book an appointment with you.

Thanks,

Beth

Beth