Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No dial tone for almost a week: phone rings when dialled into, but can't answer

Hi, 

I have had no dial tine on my landline for almost a week. I am unable to set my home alarm system as a result of this. When I try ringing into my landline, the phone does ring, but I am unable to answer the phone, and eventually, it goes into voicemail. I have checked with a different handset with the same result. 

I have tried the system status check, which says 'inconclusive'. I am unable to speak to customer services as the automated message says they are closed due to Covid19! This is getting very frustrating !

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: No dial tone for almost a week: phone rings when dialled into, but can't answer

Good Afternoon pkkprabhu71,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to see that you've been unable to obtain a dial tone on your home phone.

Looking into the services in the local area, it doesn't appear to show any outage currently, can you tell me if you've been previously advised of any outages?

I also see that you've attempted to use a different handset, can you please advise me if you've been plugging both handsets into the master socket without any other pieces of equipment connected to the landline services?

If you've not already tried this, can you please run this test and report back to the thread for me?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: No dial tone for almost a week: phone rings when dialled into, but can't answer

Hi, David,

There is no other device using our landline services other than the home alarm system (which has done for the last 9 years without a problem). I am afraid there is still no dial tone. The funny bit is that the phone rings but it doesn't connect when I pick up. 

Pradeep

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response Pradeep.

Is it possible to temporarily remove your home alarm system from the phone line to see if this is causing a detrimental effect to your landline services?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have got the alarm company in and disconnected the alarm permanently from the landline. It now signals through the mobile network. 

The problem with the landline is exactly the same. The phone still rings when someone tries to call, but we can't respond to the call from our end. It just goes into voicemail. 

Please advice

Pradeep

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for doing that and I do apologise any inconvenience this has caused. 

I've gone ahead and booked an engineer visit for you as you've already been without the service for 7 days. 

The details of the tech visit can be found via your online account and if the time doesn't suit then please re arrange from there. 

You'll also need to ensure somebody over the age of 18 is in the property at the time. 

In the meantime if you can check if you're connected to the master socket or another socket? Does trying it in a different socket fix the issue? 

If it does then you'll be able to cancel the tech yourself online or we can do it here. If it doesn't fix the issue then the tech is still booked either way 🙂 

Keep us posted with how the visit goes. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos