Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No calls or dial tone but caller ID works?

I have no dial tone and can't make or receive calls. Dialing in you hear the ringing tone and the phone shows the incoming caller ID. 

If you answer OR if you have the handset off the hook when you dial in then you hear a faint click, click on the receiver as if the ringing signal isn't being sent properly from the exchange to the house (only to the incoming caller) and you can't answer. 

I've unplugged all the phones and tried one at a time but it's the same on multiple phones (only the powered ones show the caller ID) on all the sockets.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: No calls or dial tone but caller ID works?

I would call faults as this sounds like a bad or rusted connection that has caused the line voltage to drop out of tolerance.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: No dial tone or calls but caller ID works?

Hi Geo32, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your Landline looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you, the first things we need to do is troubleshoot using these links below – 

I also want to ask a few questions just to make you’re your home setup is all okay, can you please tell me – 

• If your phone is plugged into the mains or an extension?
  • Is your HUB performing okay? The landline works through the HUB in most cases, so if your internet has gone off, your phone line might have ceased to work too.
  • Have you got a different handset to test the line with? If yes, please have a go and let me know if it improves things.

However, I have just been on my fault checker just to check how your services are on my side and can see you've already made an appointment with an engineer, that's brilliant! Please let us know how this goes and what the engineer finds out.

Thanks so much,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Megan. I couldn't open the links above but I've been through the online fault finder and tester. 

I've tried the phones on the extensions but also on the master socket and I've tried them one at a time without the other phones being connected and it still doesn't work. 

•  
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Geo32, 

thanks for following y advice, I'm sorry the links didn't work for you but I'm glad you found an alternative route to them!

Please let me know how the engineer visit goes and what he finds when he does his work 🙂

Kind regards, 

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Engineer booked after 3 days for 12 to 4. Turned up after 5. Pit apparently half full of water into which he dropped his tester so couldn't finish the job and another engineer would be here today to fix it. Of course no sign of anyone and nobody you can speak to. All you can do is book another appointment in another 4 days. 

Brilliant.......... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Geo32,

I am sorry to hear that the engineer turned up late to your appointment and for the poor experience so far. I can see that there is a team is scheduled to go back out today to take a look. Please let us know how things are this afternoon and if you need anything further from us.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos