Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No Ringtone on Landline Phone

Hi - new customer this week.

All good apart from issue with phone line - the line is active, have a dial tone and can make and receive calls.  But.

On receipt of an inbound call the handset will not ring. Have connected the phone to a BT Openreach socket and phone rings normally on receipt of a call. Have tested with 2 other handsets and same result each time. 

Appreciate any help / advice.  

Thanks Paolo

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: No Ringtone on Landline Phone

Hi PaoloRap,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry to hear you aren't able to receive calls. have you brought your number over from your old provider?

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No - that is not the issue.  I am a new customer to Virgin and have a new landline / number as part of my package.

I can receive and make calls  - that is all fine. The issue is that when we have an incoming call the handset does not ring but the call is there.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi PaoloRap,

Is the phone attached to your router and is it as modern phone which will work with voip ?

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Paul

Yes the phone is connected to the Router.

What has VOIP got to do with things. That is something businesses use and is not for home phones. 

It really is a very simple question. Why do my phones work perfectly when connected to BT but fail to work when connected to your Virgin media hub.  

Paolo

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Our phone line is now Voip while connected via the router and not a standard landline, the phone line is working via the internet, some handsets may not support this.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@PaoloRap wrote:

Hello Paul

Yes the phone is connected to the Router.

What has VOIP got to do with things. That is something businesses use and is not for home phones. 

It really is a very simple question. Why do my phones work perfectly when connected to BT but fail to work when connected to your Virgin media hub.  

Paolo

The absence of ringing can sometimes be due to the phone equipment requiring a ringing capacitor in the adapter from the back of the hub.

Do you happen to have an old ADSL microfilter adapter anywhere at home from your previous broadband supplier?

If you have one, leave the VM adapter in the back of the hub, then plug in the ADSL microfilter, then plug in the phone to the phone socket on the ADSL microfilter. There have been some mentions on the forums of this being a workaround fix to get the ringing to work.

(Since you have tried a couple of phones, the above might be a long shot but, if you happen to have an old ADSL adapter, you could try it).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There is a good page about the Hub based phone service here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi goslow - well that proves that Longshots do pay off sometimes. Did as you suggested and "Voila" - phone now rings when incoming call arrives.

Much appreciated

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@PaoloRap wrote:

Hi goslow - well that proves that Longshots do pay off sometimes. Did as you suggested and "Voila" - phone now rings when incoming call arrives.

Much appreciated

Glad it worked. The default adapter supplied by VM does not have the ringing capacitor as most phones now do not require this.

You can get the adapters for the VM connection which also have a ringing capacitor built inside (should you wish to refine the working daisy-chain of adapters back down to one again for future use).

The required VM adapter is a "RJ11 plug to BT phone socket". They are obtainable online for just a few pounds. Just make sure the sales info. mentions "with ringing capacitor" in the description. Hopefully that should work in the same way and ring the phone but in a slightly neater-looking arrangement than the double adapter workaround.

0 Kudos