cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Ring Tone After Changeover

polly43
Up to speed

Our phones (the main downstairs phone and the upstairs extension) have survived the changeover to fibre, in that they can make and receive calls OK, but there is no ring tone on incoming calls! The 'New' Motorola 'Emergency' phone rings out, but not our own home phones! According to the engineer, our phones are too old to ring out when they receive a call! Unbelievable! Not too old then to send and receive calls, but too old to have a ring tone? Please! It's not that I am unwilling to purchase new phones; although I really don't see why I should when our old phones were working perfectly before the change and still are, except for the absence of the ring tones, but who is to say there will be a ring tone with new phones either? So now we are left with a non-system of if we hear the downstairs 'Emergency' phone ring, we can pick up either of our 'Old' phones and answer the calls. Where I can put this 'Emergency' phone is limited too because the cable is so short. We are both disabled, and to have to stand up to make and answer calls is impossible! I got a strong impression that the engineer had just so much time allocated to each installation and so he didn't have the time or the inclination to investigate any further. This is just not good enough! We didn't ask for this change; I didn't want to have to leave my router on permanently 24 hours a day either! We have been put to a lot of inconvenience over this. It seems to me that Virgin is looking to save a shedload of money on leasing telephone lines from BT or wherever. I don't suppose for a minute that our telephone charges will go down either, in spite of Virgin's saving all this money! We will now be paying twice for a telephone 'Line' that we were already paying for! Our existing internet connection! 😠

13 REPLIES 13

Very interesting Goslow.  I guess even people who don't actually use the Internet will just be provided with a router for the phone only.  I guess in the end, it won't be necessary for people to have their existing equipment 'upgraded' with adapters, there will be no such thing as phone wall sockets either, phones will be plugged straight into the routers.  I have contacted Lee as you suggested and hopefully he can help.  Thanks. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
>>will just be provided with a router for the phone only>> Another plastic Chinese device plugged into the mains and another £50 or so a year on electricity for an extra device to be left on 24/7, just to use the phone.

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @polly43, thanks for getting back to me privately.  

This is just a quick note to confirm you're satisfied with the response and efforts of the forum team?  Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand. Also, please bear in mind that our website offers lots of helpful information and also, you can manage your account from here.

Regards

Lee_R

Many thanks Lee.  You have been very patient and understanding.  You have done your very best to help me and I am indeed, very satisfied.  😊