cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Landline No charge?

ewhitey
Superfast

I'm just about organised to switch over and thought of something that I'm sure has already been answered.

If I no longer have a landline (which I pay for), and use wifi/net instead (which I already pay for), does that mean I will no longer have the same or an additional charge for my phone use? 

Thanks in advance 😉

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You're paying for the call plan and the ability to make the calls at set times without incurring charges, if we remove the line from connecting via your hub, you would lose the ability to make/ receive calls.

You still pay for the use of the line via the hub, it is not a "device" connecting to WiFi.

Alex_Rm

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi ewhitey,

Thanks for posting, 

You would still pay for the use of the line, you just use it via your hub rather than the wall socket 😊

Alex_Rm

Is it the same extra charge?

Also, (need educating here) how can VM charge for a line when I'm already paying for the signal e.g. I can have 5 or 55 devices on my broadbandline but pay the same regardless. If VM are adding another device (phone) to that why do we pay extra? 

You're paying for the call plan and the ability to make the calls at set times without incurring charges, if we remove the line from connecting via your hub, you would lose the ability to make/ receive calls.

You still pay for the use of the line via the hub, it is not a "device" connecting to WiFi.

Alex_Rm

Got it thanks - all good

Kind regards

No worries at all 😊

Take care,

Alex_Rm

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You very much still have a landline.

The current connection being superseded is an analogue twisted pair which goes back to a street optical node. These serve around 1000 properties. From this switch the calls are converted to digital & passed back to the local headend exchange via fibre, where they are converted back to analogue.

The new service bypasses the twisted pair, where your hub does the job of the local node & sends the calls back to the exchange. From that point nothing changes. You are still using the (expensive) analogue switched exchange you have always done.

The big change comes in 2025 when all the analogue exchanges are decommissioned, which has to be synchronized with the shutdown of the interconnected BT exchanges in the same areas. Then you might see VoIP prices as you are using lines that are actually VoIP.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks