Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No Dial-Tone 2020

Following the fun and games of 2016 and 2018-19 (https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/No-dial-tone-again/td-p/3599117) it seems the no-dial-tone bug has struck yet again.  Now on Day 3 of Fault Ref. F008523485.  Much more serious this time, of course, because owing to Tier 3 Covid restrictions I'm dependent on the phone for GP consultations and contact with non-internet-connected family and friends. 

According to email updates -a welcome innovation, but cold comfort when "fix estimates" come and go without result- an engineer has been "on their way" since Monday.  It's now Wednesday.  Where exactly is the engineer coming from, I wonder?  Shouldn't someone check if they're OK?     

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: No Dial-Tone 2020

Good morning @Ant2 

Welcome back to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your landline services. 

we have reviewed the fault ticket number, there is an estimated fix time of this evening.

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Zak_M. 

3 days and around 15 "fix estimates" since your reply we continue to grapple with the problems caused by Fault Ref. F008523485.  Dial tone was actually restored last Wednesday afternoon but the sound quality on the line has since deteriorated to such an extent that it is often impossible to hold a conversation. 

Email updates and the website are still claiming that "an engineer is on their way"!!!  

The very latest fix estimate is on 2 November - but when, realistically, might I expect a resolution of this issue?      

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry Ant2, 

I'm sure the team will have it sorted by the 2nd, if not then pop back and we can provide a further update. 

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Emma_C.  Perhaps you're in the happy position of not being reliant on a Virgin Media landline.  In any event, your confidence was misplaced.

It's now day 9 of Fault F008523485.  The website message has changed to "The problem is almost fixed - our engineers are carrying out their final checks".  Sounds like progress, doesn't it?  You'd think so, except that the "final checks" evidently involved cutting the connection yesterday evening so that we've gone back from crackles to a completely dead line.  Moreover -if the latest "fix estimate" is to be believed- it will take "our engineers" until 4pm on 15 November to complete those "final checks".  By that  time I'll have effectively been cut off for 3 weeks.  No consideration of my reliance on the phone for essential medical services etc which are otherwise now inaccessible due to the pandemic.   

A timely communication yesterday from a rival provider offering their combined phone, tv & broadband package for £25 set-up and then £25 per month, guaranteed for 3 years.  I'm thinking they can't be much worse than this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ant2, 

thank you for your reply, I have checked and everything looks okay, I am sorry I can appreciate your frustration on this, but we are not a fault free service, do you have a care line? 

Thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Zoie.  Not "okay", I'm afraid - the elastic band or whatever was used to effect the repair must have snapped as the line was dead again by late evening yesterday.  We're now back to the engineer being "on their way" and another new "fix estimate" of 4pm. 

I'm not sure if VM are treating yesterday and today's outage as a continuation of Fault Ref. F008523485 -which, clearly, it is- or will be allocating a new fault reference number.  It would really add insult to injury if the very brief restoration of service yesterday was treated as stopping the clock for the purposes of your Automatic Compensation Scheme.  May I have an assurance that this will not be the case?

As a long-suffering Virgin Media customer I am painfully aware that you are "not a fault free service"!!! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ant,

thank you for your reply, I can assure you we do not use elastic bands, I have checked the reference number and this was resolved yesterday.

thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Currently displayed at https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status:

"We know of an issue in your area that results in loss of service
You might find that your Virgin Phone service isn't working at the moment. We are investigating and working to resolve as quickly as possible. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Our engineer is working to fix the problem.
04 November 16:00"

Screenshot 2020-11-04 071453.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The reference number you provided was for a different outage, please keep us posted after the fix time

thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos