cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New number - constant unsolicited calls

sjmcd85
Joining in

Hi. I have only recently switched to Virgin and have yet to give my new landline number to anyone at all. 

And yet I am receiving constant spam calls.

I don't really use my landline and only have it for emergencies because mobile signal isn't great. 

When I was with sky, my phone only rang a few times a year. Now its ringing constantly with spam calls. 

Has virgin sold my details to someone? How else would they have got the number?

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Your 'new' number will have come from VM's pool of numbers (recycled from past customers after the number is disconnected).

Often the scam calls are generated by an auto-dialling system which just works it way through blocks of area codes/numbers so your number may not be specifically targeted by scammers.

Sometimes the nuisance calls are linked to the past use of the number (such as a former business etc.)

Are the calls generic scam calls (fake tech support, fake Microsoft, fake Amazon etc.) or are they linked to some past use of the number (callers after a particular person/business etc.)?

VM should offer you a free change of number but you may well encounter the same problem again.

Changing the number might be useful if the calls are linked to a particular person/business who had the number in the past, less so for generic scam calls.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @sjmcd85,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm incredibly sorry to hear that you're receiving unwanted phone calls on your landline. We have a number of tips listed here to help reduce these type of calls.

Please let us know how you get on and if you need any further assistance.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!