cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New landline

ConistonChris
Joining in

When we move house, but staying with Virgin, we will get a new land line phone number. What happens when someone calls the old one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are moving to a location covered by the same STD code area you can keep the same number, otherwise you will get a new number. If someone calls the old number they will get an "unobtainable" tone or a message saying the number is currently unavailable.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are moving to a location covered by the same STD code area you can keep the same number, otherwise you will get a new number. If someone calls the old number they will get an "unobtainable" tone or a message saying the number is currently unavailable.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

stevemorgan
Superfast

If you are moving within the same dialling code area you should be able to keep your existing number.

If not and you would like to keep the number you could always port your number out to a voip service which means you can forward your calls to your new number or put a voicemail service on it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks - that's sort of what I thought

"number currently unobtainable" is most unhelpful as it suggests a temporary fault rather than a major change.

So there is no way of the caller being diverted to our new number.

Or paying extra for a service like Royal Mail, who will be readdressing our post for some time!

"port your number out to a voip service which means you can forward your calls to your new number or put a voicemail service on it."
Sounds interesting - so does that mean Virgin can't reallocate it to anyone else?
I'd better learn how to do this!
Thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ConistonChris wrote:
"port your number out to a voip service which means you can forward your calls to your new number or put a voicemail service on it."
Sounds interesting - so does that mean Virgin can't reallocate it to anyone else?
I'd better learn how to do this!
Thanks

This has advantages & disadvantages. If you port out you are removing your phone line from your Virgin package, along with the huge discount it carries. If you want to keep a phone line on your package you would have to get VM to install (& pay for) a secondary line, then port your primary line out to a VoIP provider

Help!!

I'm not sure I follow you

Say we keep our full Virgin package.which will give us a new phone number and phone line - to which we would connect a Panasonic base phone and three satellite ones [as at present], and which we have no particular problems in retaining. [I've yet to investigate linking our mobiles to the package, as we are already with O2!]

But in addition, could we port out our present phone number and direct any calls to it to a mobile rather than one of those handsets, given that they need to be connected to the Virgin line, not the ethernet gadgetry I've read about?

That way, if only for a few months we could we "trap" all the people who call us irregularly on the present number, but who we forgot to advise about any change? Eventually we could drop the port rental?

Does that make any sense or am I misunderstanding the technology

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ConistonChris wrote:

Help!!

I'm not sure I follow you

Say we keep our full Virgin package.which will give us a new phone number and phone line - to which we would connect a Panasonic base phone and three satellite ones [as at present], and which we have no particular problems in retaining. [I've yet to investigate linking our mobiles to the package, as we are already with O2!]

But in addition, could we port out our present phone number and direct any calls to it to a mobile rather than one of those handsets, given that they need to be connected to the Virgin line, not the ethernet gadgetry I've read about?

That way, if only for a few months we could we "trap" all the people who call us irregularly on the present number, but who we forgot to advise about any change? Eventually we could drop the port rental?

Does that make any sense or am I misunderstanding the technology

To port your existing number out you have to give up your existing line, which is part of your current contract, to another provider, . You can only do this by renegotiating the other components in that contract as well (Broadband & TV if you have it). This is because your current phone line to which the number is attached is an integral part of your current package & has discounts attached. This is why I say about ordering an additional line. In this way you can then port out your primary line as you still retain the secondary one on your account to retain the discounts. It is complicated, but is a requirement of your contracted services rather than any technical issue.