Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

New install of broadband and telephone landline via router

Had a new install yesterday the phone will ring out but not in? Anyone had this issue? Do I need to book an engineer appointment to review and fix?   

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: New install of broadband and telephone landline via router

Hi AlynFletcher,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue.

Is this happening with everyone that calls you?

^Martin

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi yes.  I can call out on the land line but calling in you can hear a ring tone on the phone you are calling from ie mobile, but the land line phone does not ring, and if you pick up the land line phone to answer (just in case it’s just the ring tone not working) all you get is the normal dial tone. 

Regards.    

Alyn. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Right I see. Thank you for that. 

Have you been able to try an alternative handset?

^Martin

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry not yet. Stuck in work at the moment will try to get a different hand set and check the line again tonight.  

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If you ring your mobile from your landline, does your mobile show the number as matching the number you have been given by Virgin for the Landline.

I just want to eliminate the crossed line scenario.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi my phone now seems to be working ok however the download speeds are still very slow 80mbps when I should be getting 250+. (We have the 350mbps package).  Any other suggestions before I contact VM direct?    

0 Kudos
Hero
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Are you measuring your speeds with a wired connection to the hub and using speedtest.net?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi AlynFletcher

I am sorry to hear that you're unhappy with your download speeds. As @Roger_Gooner has asked are you testing your speeds via WiFi or through a wired connection?  This is because our minimum speed guarantee is for a wired connection, due to other factors meaning we cannot guarantee speeds via WiFi.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee thanks for your response.  I have just run the speed test via a wired connection (at 10.43pm using the Oolkla Speedtest.net service) and am getting 92.23mbps download and 37.11 up.  As you can see this is way below the 350mbps promised by VM?  Just to give you a bit of background we had VM cable about 5 to 6 years ago and had cable fitted into the house, when the engineer installed the equipment on Saturday (6th dec) he tested this cable and said it was still “live” so did not replace it. He did fit new cable from the connection box on the exterior of the house to the router. He ran a speed test (via his phone) and was getting about 250mbps, but it does not seem to stay at that level. I have rebooted the router and pressed the reset button but to no avail. Do I have a suspect router? (It has taken 3 days for my phone to work as well).  As you can tell I am not happy with the Virgin “promise” of the expected 350mbps speeds which I am clearly not getting. How do I go about getting this resolved?  

Regards 

alyn 

0 Kudos