Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

New install - home EMERGENCY button NOT working (and no inbound calls for landline)

A new install at my mother's home, with the latest hub (i presume) and we selected the "make sure the senior emergency button still works" option.

My mother said they installed a router into the wall box and the phoneline goes into the back of the router. (I work abroad and the last time I had virginmedia setup it had a box in the wall with two sockets: one for the cable that goes in to the router and one that is for the phone.)

Nevertheless, the phone that is plugged into the router (setup in the living room) can make outgoing calls but there's no incoming calls coming through. 

Furthermore, the emergency button was connected to the phone line that ran into her bedroom but that hasn't been connected so we're not sure what is supposed to happen there. Obviously, the phones connected in her bedroom are not working at all either.

Obviously i'm unable to call the support number from abroad so I asked her to try to make contact with VirginMedia support on 150 but they wouldn't help her. (shocking!) the only way i could find to contact virginmedia from here was to submit a complaint but the response times for that are 48 hours with a resolution period of 28 days!.

i'm left to submit a query on this forum to see if there's any other way we can get help to her.

is there anyone who has a way to connect me with support or booking of engineers?

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: New install - home EMERGENCY button NOT working (and no inbound calls for landline)

they should have connected from the hub to a phone wall box - even the the button would not work as it will be on an extension from the original phone system so the extension circuit will need connecting to the VM system

not sure how much of that a VM tech will do but lets ask - i will flag your thread to get someone here

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: New install - home EMERGENCY button NOT working (and no inbound calls for landline)

she showed me the wall box through a video chat. looks like it only has the sockets for the FM cable and the main internet cable. there's no RJ11 or similar anymore.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

the phone plugs into the hub3 - thats what she will have - but i understand the install techs have a wallbox and cable that plugs into the router - that should have been offered - they dont fit them as standard but it seems if a user does not know about them and therefor does not ask they are not offered - that then becomes the master socket so an extension circuit can be added

sure VM will get a tech sorted to add the master socket - what i dont know is if they will add extensions 

i also suggest your mother wants the backup added for if there is an outage as she would lose the phone line - this adds 999 calling

wait for VM and talk it through with them

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony.

Appreciate your advice. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi kclfc,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and a very warm welcome to you. 

I am sorry there wasn't an extension added to support you mums emergency button, this is something we will be able to arrange for you, we will also arrange to get an EBUL, emergency back up so if the internet goes off your mum isn't left vulnerable.

I will send you a request for a web chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi kclfc,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and a very warm welcome to you. 

I am sorry there wasn't an extension added to support you mums emergency button, this is something we will be able to arrange for you, we will also arrange to get an EBUL, emergency back up so if the internet goes off your mum isn't left vulnerable.

I will send you a request for a web chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am an original NTL customer and my landline was dead last month for 3 days. Now dead again for 6 days. Engineer came out on day 5 migrated my landline from wall socket to back of router and promised I'd be up and running in a hour. Still dead. Cannot receive or make calls. I've tried several working home phones and nothing. Been ringing virgin and sitting in automated waiting systems for long po periods. Spoken to them, passed around departments, Spent nearly 2 hours performing repetitive tests. Nothing. Was told it would be a further 4-5 days before they could try and fix it. No follow ups. I am typing a letter to HQ cancelling everything. Never seen anything like it. They simply don't care!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi TWIZTWIZ,

We responded to you on another thread, here. You should have a Private Message waiting for your response.

Thanks,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

for anyone following along, paul was able to arrange for an engineer visit.

0 Kudos