cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre landline

keithj122
Tuning in

This morning I have had my landline adapter fitted by a very helpful Virgin employee. The alternative was to be without a landline phone due to the new fibre network, which is touted as an 'improvement'.

I cannot see how it can be given that:

1. I've had to rearrange my living room to place the landline phone near to an electric point for the router, which had to be brought from its previous place upstairs and needs a power socket.

2. I've had to buy at my own expense a new phone as my existing one 'doesn't have digital capability'.

3. I believe that in the event of a power cut, or a wifi failure, I will be unable to call from the landline in an emergency.

Perhaps someone from Virgin can explain how this is an 'improvement.! 

2 REPLIES 2

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello keithj122.

Thanks for your post regarding The fibre upgraded with you landline.

Sorry you needed to purchase a new handset to work with the upgrade.

All Telecom providers are having to upgrade as instructed by the government.

Full information can be found here 

Regarding the line not working if there is a power cut out outage for broadband,

We do have a Emergency Back up Line for Customers that are vulnerable.

Overall we have had positive reviews about the upgrade,

If we can help with anything else at all, please let us know.

Gareth_L

goslow
Alessandro Volta

1. Were you given the option by the VM tech to modify your existing phone wiring to link your existing phone sockets to the telephone connection on the hub (so allowing you to keep each item of equipment in the same place)?

2. Why did you have to buy a new phone? The usual problem reported on here is for old phones (early 2000's era and before) is non-ringing for an incoming call. This can often be fixed with a different/replacement adapter for a few pounds. What problem did you have with your original phone?

3. If you have no mobile phone VM should offer the emergency backup line (as described above).

Refer below when hub and phone can't be placed next to each other

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.