cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre landline

Nick797
Tuning in

Struggling with the new landline phone system. Does the phone need to be kept plugged in to the modem?

If so how will my 2nd phone work? Really need the 2nd phone living in a large house and running a business from home.

Thanks for any help on this matter.

13 REPLIES 13

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Nick797 👋

Thanks for your post. The phone would need to be kept plugged into the modem I am afraid. If you have a secondary line the best way to keep both of them active would be to call our team on 📞0345 454 1111, option 1, option 2, option 3. Or we can bring you into a private message and go through the process via messaging, which ever is the easiest option for yourself. 

The process is the same, we would need to send an engineer to the property to set up a second line via the modem for you. 
I shall drop you a private message feel free to respond if you wish.

Regards 

Sabrina

Thanks Sabrina, PM is fine. I read your help guide and it mentioned a 2nd number would mean a 2nd phone number. That isn't an option for me.  I have a business.

Is going back to the old method an option?  I am currently in contract with Virgin.  Very disappointing not to be getting the service I paid for.  Wasnt asked or given an option for this switch to fibre.

Is a payment reduction possible so that I can use a company who still use the traditional method?

I should add linking a 2nd line to my modem isn't an option.  An engineer would have to link up 20-25 meters away and drill through multiple walls.  

Hi Nick 👋.

Unfortunately we cannot retain you on the old copper line, this may assist 👉 here. The engineer will not do any works without your approval first. Maybe as a better option due to the nature of you having a business would be to switch to Virgin Media Business.

The faculties and options that are available for customers who are dealing with multiple of phone devices and employees would be a more viable option for you. Please see here for more assistance.

I hope this helps.

Sabrina

I was happy as I was Sabrina and the service I agreed to pay for. I haven't agreed to pay for this service. It won't work for me.

I am currently in contract with yourselves. I think it's best I go elsewhere for my landline service. Will I be able to get a reduction in my bills if I opt out of the landline with yourselves? I also have virgin broadband and TV.  I pay £66 per month.  Happy to keep these 2 services, but opt out on the landline due to the changes the company has forced upon me.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Nick797 wrote:

I was happy as I was Sabrina and the service I agreed to pay for. I haven't agreed to pay for this service. It won't work for me.

I am currently in contract with yourselves. I think it's best I go elsewhere for my landline service. Will I be able to get a reduction in my bills if I opt out of the landline with yourselves? I also have virgin broadband and TV.  I pay £66 per month.  Happy to keep these 2 services, but opt out on the landline due to the changes the company has forced upon me.

To clarify, what is/was your setup before moving to a phone-via-hub connection?

Have you actually been 'switched' yet or is it just pending?

I have read your posts as describing a single residential phone line with two telephones connected to the one line.

One of the phones is 20 to 25m from the VM hub.

Is the other phone currently next to the hub but still working from a telephone wall socket?

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I can appreciate the frustration caused,

Just to clarify on this Nick797, when was the service switched over?

Regards,

Kain

I have switched over a couple of days ago.  The phone plugged in to the hub is working. 

The second phone which is 20-25m away from the hub, is no longer working.

I have been led to believe the only way it will work now is if it is cabled to the modem. This would require drilling through walls which seems daft when it was working perfectly well before.

I didn't ask for this change and would be perfectly happy if I could go back to traditional phone lines.  

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Nick797 wrote:

I have switched over a couple of days ago.  The phone plugged in to the hub is working. 

The second phone which is 20-25m away from the hub, is no longer working.

I have been led to believe the only way it will work now is if it is cabled to the modem. This would require drilling through walls which seems daft when it was working perfectly well before.

I didn't ask for this change and would be perfectly happy if I could go back to traditional phone lines.  

Do you have a telephone wall socket (which has now become defunct) next to, or near to, the location of the VM hub?