Menu
smurf786
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

New customer phone through hub and using other sip/voip phones

Hi Guys,

At the time of ordering i was told i could get a traditional pots line instead of the voip line. Anyway due to some issues i had to postpone the install... Since then i am now being told i can't have the pots line and will need to be through the broadband.

Problem is the hub will be going in the loft in a cat5 cabinet actually really far from the area i wanted the main phone to be. Even though it is cordless signal is poor. When the house was being decorated there was traditional telephony cabling installed into walls and made it easy so the engineer could come into property from outside straight into master socket which would feed the extension further away.

I would like VM to install pots line but if not, i have a data point that is linked to a sub cabinet so can't be patched in directly into rj11 on VM hub but would virgin give me the VOIP/SIP details so on my own network i can use a 3rd party sip phone?

Don't really want cabling showing but would they wire it to the master socket for me from the router?

Thank you for your assistance. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: New customer phone through hub and using other sip/voip phones

Hello

Although the line is not pots it is not SIP either, you cannot use a SIP phone on the line as VM dont do SIP, the ports on the hub 3 will convert the digital signal to a standard line, the engineer will connect the hub to an extension as the hub is the master socket but that extension will have to be close to the hub.

Regarding installing a POTS line, all new install are being done over the cable line but you can wait for a VM staff member to advise, all telephone providers are doing this type of install now ready for the switch over by the end of 2025.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lisa_CC
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: New customer phone through hub and using other sip/voip phones

A warm welcome to our Community Forum smurf786 and thanks for posting.

Mike is correct in what he explained and the only way to get SIP (or possibly a POTS line) is via our Business Service who do support SIP. If you're interested please see our Business page here . 

Regards,

Lisa

0 Kudos