Menu
Gazax
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New Phone line/keeping my old number

Hi, I am moving from TalkTalk to virgin and requested that I keep my old number. I have tried to cancel my contract with TalkTalk but I am unable to get in contact with them in any manner, and believe me I have tried everything!!.

If Virgin take my old number, then happy days, as this automatically cancels my contract, however, if they don't or aren't able to, then I fear TalkTalk will carry on charging me until the Covid-19 is over.

Is there any way I can check if Virgin will be taking my old number up or not? 

(Virgin live gate 30th April)

Garry

G Fawley
0 Kudos
Aaron2
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New Phone line/keeping my old number

Hi, currently all installs are being done as normal, number porting can be one in most cases but you'll be made aware if it's unable to be ported for whichever reason. 

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
Robert_P1
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi
You need to make sure that the landline is active with Talk-Talk on the day the Virgin Media account will be activated for the number to be ported. If you cancel the other contract the transfer might not be possible and like you mentioned once the number is ported over to Virgin that cancels the landline contract with the old provider but not other services i.e. broadband/ tv.
Rob

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I hope you've done this right. If you wish to carry over (port) your number you have to ask Virgin Media to do it. You do not need to involve TT. As long as you have made this request when you signed up to VM you should be alright. The port takes between 7-10 days after go live with VM, but in the current circumstances it might take longer.

If you haven't done it right you'll need to contact VM and ask them to do the port for you. You still have time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Gazax
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it.

TalkTalk are the worst company I have dealt with, I can see whatever, they'll continue to charge me. I just hope the number is ported.

Thanks again

garry

G Fawley
0 Kudos
Gazax
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

Yes I did request it but Virgin stated that it's not always possible. Word of advice, don't go with TalkTalk, I have had more replies to my forum posts in 10 mins as I ever had on theirs. 

Thanks 

Garry

G Fawley
0 Kudos