cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Phone Line

ewhitey
Superfast

I'm most likely repeating something here or discussing something that's already disscused so apologies in advance.

I have received my adapter for this and I'm not looking forward to this change as going by some of the posts here, it's an additional headache on top of previous ones.

The first issue is that I'm not too tech savvy and having read the leaflet I believe Houston has another problem.

My wall socket is in the front lounge and my Hub is in the back bedroom. I have this phone  https://www.pmctelecom.co.uk/panasonic-kx-tg8421-digital-cordless-phone-answering-machine/  with two handsets. The main base is presently connected to the wall socket and the other base is simply plugged into the kitchen electric plug socket for power - no additional phone line or anything. How or can I connect this up as I can't rewire the whole set up...My Hub is central and everything runs out all over the house - It would be a major nightmare if I had to move this Hub?  I am quite worried about all this and additionnally I will need an emergency number back up as well because my partner is very unwell with Cancer. Looking forward to hearing from you and hoping for your support. Also due to this none of us work and (like most) money is at a premium so I can't afford to get special fibre phones or pay for an engineeer to reroute the house. Sorry for the long windedness and thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta
15 REPLIES 15

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there ewhitey,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Many apologies for any issues faced with this, just to clarify can the main phone be co-located with the Hub once the adaptor is sent? 

Also regarding an emergency backup we can also support with this matter, when are you due to switch?

Regards,

Kain

Hi..I received the adapter yesterday. All I can add is the main base (station) phone has a black cable that plugs into the white socket box on the wall. The connection is just the normal looking phone connector. Regards my switch date I don't recall having received any letter or date yet?

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response there, 

Would by looking at the end of the station, fit into the back of the Hub?

Thanks again,

Kain

Sorry - Do you mean the black cable?

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Yes the cable attached to the equipment apologies.

Thanks,

Kain

Hi...

Yes I think it would fit the Hub...

goslow
Alessandro Volta

<Removed>

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@ewhitey wrote:

Hi...

Yes I think it would fit the Hub...

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here, when they reply to this topic) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

As goslow has suggested, can you please  arrange for VM to modify my home phone wiring so I can use my existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from my VM hub. Can you also ensure the engineer makes modifications to my phone wiring so I can keep each piece of equipment in the same place? I also require the emergency back up as well (requested above). Many thanks for your support again 😉