cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Phone Adaptor

roybab
On our wavelength

I have been told to connect the adaptor to my hub and the other end to my phone.  The problem is the Hub is in my Study and the phone line is in the Hall.

My main cable goes from the street into a box on the outer wall of my house.  From there I have 3 separate cables that go in to the house at different places.  One into the Lounge for the TV, one into the Study for Broadband and one into the Hall for the Landline.#

Could someone please advise how I set this up, as there is no help on the Virgin Media site and there does not appear to be any options when I ring up to let me speak to someone on this issue.

A very confused Roy

95 REPLIES 95

Hello Ianlawrance,

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue with phone upgrade and location.
I'd like to take a look into this for you and see if we cab get some one out sooner.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Same problem here, phone is in living room, router upstairs in bedroom, this just ain’t gonna work.

Well, I found a solution to this that worked for me, but only because I happen to have a spare ethernet cable between the hub location & the phone location. RJ11 - RJ45 adapter cable from hub to ethernet socket, RJ45 - BT socket adapter cable from ethernet socket to phone plug. I already had the ethernet (installed for another purpose) but the other cables came from Amazon for about £15... It definitely works... 

I will also have the same problem: my phone socket is in the same room as the hub but quite a distance from it. Will I need an engineer to come out and rewire it?

@squarefour wrote:

I will also have the same problem: my phone socket is in the same room as the hub but quite a distance from it. Will I need an engineer to come out and rewire it?

Yes, you will.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Gannet98 wrote:

Same problem here, phone is in living room, router upstairs in bedroom, this just ain’t gonna work.

You need to book a free technician visit as part of the switchover process to link the phone socket on the hub to your extension sockets in your home. See

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?
You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Hi Gannet98,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about situation with your hub and telephone location. 

We would need to get an technician out to move the hub if you wanted the hub in the location of the telephone. 

If you would like that, please do let me know and I can private message you and get that booked in. 

^Martin

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Martin_N wrote:

Hi Gannet98,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about situation with your hub and telephone location. 

We would need to get an technician out to move the hub if you wanted the hub in the location of the telephone. 

If you would like that, please do let me know and I can private message you and get that booked in. 

^Martin

I don't think either of the last two queries above want the hub moving, I think they want a link creating between the hub's phone socket and their existing extension sockets so that the extension sockets continue to function via the hub's phone socket and all equipment remains in its current positions. In practice, probably easier to achieve than moving the hub anyway.

I'd also like to book an engineer visit please

Something to add to my earlier post, which explains how to link phone to the hub in another room.

1. This is a cabling issue not a hub location issue so long as you (or VM) can get a cable, eg ethernet in my case, between the two locations

2. I found out that only at switchover the traditional wire connection stops working. In my case VM did NOT do the conversion on the due date so the hub connection didn't work anyway. When the conversion was done, the hub rebooted & then worked, at which point the traditional wire lost its signal.