Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

New Customer but cannot connect phone or speak with Virgin

Hi

I am a new customer, was able to set broadband up no problem but cannot connect home phone.  Have spent the last four hours trying to speak to someone by telephone and the online chat with no success.  Spoke to someone on the phone twice who couldn't help and advised he was putting me through to special faults department then cut me off so now back in the queue to get through.  I have a relatively new home phone which worked yesterday when connected with my previous provider.  I have connected with both the wire they provided and with the adapter provided straight to the hub but no luck.  No dial tone and no one is able to call me.  I have tried restarting the hub also.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Wishing I hadn't switched now! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

PLEASE HELP - Lost - Docsis

I am not having a good first day with Virgin at all! Finally spoke with a third person re my issue getting my landline set up.  First of all they accused me of breaking my phone which was working perfectly fine last night with my old provider and it was pure coincidence it broke on the day they started.  They then said my phone wasn't docsis compatible and I would need to get one that was.  They couldn't give me any advice on this other than go ask people in shops.  After trying this no one could help as they advised from looking at my phone it was docsis compatible!! (I have an Argos BT Everyday Phone Single) Can anyone direct me to another reasonably priced dociss compatible phone before I pull my hair out as I have had to take time off work as cannot do my work without a phone so need this up and running for Monday 😞 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Tried everything, landline still not working

I only joined with you yesterday and had to spend most of yesterday trying to sort my home phone out (from 10am - 4pm) and had to end up taking annual leave from work to try and sort it out. Was told it wasn't working as it was my fault as I had broken my own phone or my phone wasn't compatible (not sure how they knew that since they didn't ask what phone i had) I went with the info they gave me to an expert who confirmed my phone was compatible but in any event suggested another phone which was on the compatible list on your website which i bought and tried out today and i still have no landline service. I advised them that i needed to have this sorted for Monday as i couldn't afford any more time off work but i tried calling and your contact centre is closed. so not only have i lost a half day annual leave, i have now lost out money on the cost of a phone i probably didn't need and i have no idea if i will be able to return to work on Monday. Can someone please urgently look at this?"

Other bit of info is the red phone icon is flashing before and after i plug in the phone network so not sure if there is an issue with the telephone service reaching the hub rather than my phone?

I have tried every option online - unplugging and replugging wires in, resetting the box, rebooting the box, trying with both types of wires provided.  

Thanks so much

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tried everything, landline still not working

@Pamelarobb25 Please don't create multiple threads for the same issue, it doesn't get your issue resolved any quicker and is against the forum rules.  I have merged your threads.

This is a community forum and it is predominately customers helping other customers, with VM staff stepping in when necessary.  It can however take a few days for staff to get to a thread as they have limited resources, so does require patience.  While the staff response here is not as immediate as calling or texting VM they do usually provider better support.  The contact centres are not closed, but are very busy.

If you can't get through on the phone then VM are recommending you send a text to 07533 051809 describing the issue and you should get a response, but it may take a day or two at present. This is a text only service, it does not support voice calls.  
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/When-and-how-to-use-our-messaging-service/ba-p/425...

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Customer but cannot connect phone or speak with Virgin

Thanks for the post Pamelarobb25.

Can we please confirm if you're still having some issues connecting your landline? 

Let us know, Emily.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Customer but cannot connect phone or speak with Virgin

Yes i am still no landline

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If you read my posts they were technically different issues, first one problem setting up, second one asking what a DOCSIS is and third one problems getting through to virgin and red light flashing.  I will try the text thing if Emily cant help, thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you for the information.

A DOCSIS line is one which the telephone plugs into the Hub rather than the wall port, we're upgrading our connections to these at the moment.

I can see a few errors that may be affecting this set up so I've booked an appointment for you using the forum information.

This is booked for Tuesday 28th between 8am and 12pm, you can reschedule this on your online account here

Thanks, Emily.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much Emily!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Pamelarobb25 wrote:

If you read my posts they were technically different issues, first one problem setting up, second one asking what a DOCSIS is and third one problems getting through to virgin and red light flashing.  I will try the text thing if Emily cant help, thanks

All three posts boil down to one issue, your landline phone isn't working so should be one thread not three.  Leaving it as separate threads could have resulted in three separate responses from three members of staff which would waste your time and that of the VM staff and almost certainly result in further confusion.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos