Menu
MushfiqHaider
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

New Customer Phone line

Hi, 

I'm getting my new virgin media broadband + internet installed this week and the router is going to be placed in the living room. does this mean the master home telephone also needs to be moved to the living room? or can the engineer keep the master telephone in its existing location? (the location is quite far) as we do not want the master phone in the living room.

Thank You

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Customer Phone line

While there is a pandemic technicians will not install additional locations, only one location

MushfiqHaider
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

what do you mean? there is no virgin media box installed in my property so I booked an engineer to come and install one and set up the internet. i was asking if i can plug my master phone home into any phone socket in the house or does it need to be into the back of the router?

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Back of the router, technicians have been instructed not to install any additional outlets to limit the amount of time in your home
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Back of the router. That is how VM now offer their phone service. Your initial question was far from clear, but I hope this helps.

This help file might help with your questions:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone#compatibility

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

MushfiqHaider
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

oh i see, thank you very much however this is an essential for us so after the pandemic would I need to pay again to have the engineer come because I heard its £99 and that's a big price tag 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

For what precisely? Do you mean you've already had the installation done?. In which case plug the phone into TEL1 socket on the back of the router and it'll work. As for connecting up your existing extensions (is that what you mean) it is possible but you've seen the response above. You should be able to do it yourself by using a splitter in TEL1 and running a line to the master socket and connecting it there. If not a local phone engineer should be able to do it for you. It'll be along time before VM techs will come out for this, given that the pandemic emergency is likely to last a while yet and time in customer homes MUST be restricted to protect them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like the OP is trying to switch providers during a pandemic Howard
MushfiqHaider
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the help i understand now it goes from behind the router. i booked engineer over a month ago and bad timing I guess. I'm due to be installed this Thursday but thank you for clarifying the phone must be connected to the router 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@jb66 wrote:
Sounds like the OP is trying to switch providers during a pandemic Howard

Who knows?  At one time VM would help with the installation of the extensions but, as you rightly say, not at the moment. And you should know (of all people!!). 

The pandemic fallout is causing massive difficulties everywhere and people may have to accept something less than optimal installations for the present.