Menu
Lolu17
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Need to change home landline number

Hi, I really need to change my home landline number.  I keep receiving calls from overseas advising they are my broadband provider and that’s there is a fault with my internet etc, these are scam calllers and despite having a phone blocker they keep getting through 

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need to change home landline number

Do you have caller display? (Can you see number that call you before answering the phone).

Reason I ask is that call blockers rely on caller ID/Display to filter calls and Virgin Media is known for not supplying caller ID by default or for free so most customers don't have it.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Lolu17 wrote:

Hi, I really need to change my home landline number.  I keep receiving calls from overseas advising they are my broadband provider and that’s there is a fault with my internet etc, these are scam calllers and despite having a phone blocker they keep getting through 

Changing your number might give you some short-term respite from the scam calls but won't stop them. This is because they are generated automatically and any new number you might receive will also become a target eventually as well.

Simply blocking individual numbers won't work either as the scam callers use false caller ID which they change regularly so it is impossible to block all of the incoming numbers.

What device are you using to try to block them? Are you just trying to block each individual number or does your device screen the calls by asking the caller to press a key then state who they are before ringing your phone?

0 Kudos
Lolu17
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I understand in regards to not being able to block all calls but like someone else’s post it’s the same people all the time.  If I change my number I understand that I will still receive scam callers but at the same time he ones that keep calling advising they are calling on behalf of virgin will not be able to get through... this has been going on for months and don’t want to have to keep ignoring the phone the first time it to rings.  I have vulnerable adults in my home and it’s important to keep the landline. I just want to change the number... I am happy to pay a fee if required

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm sure Virgin will change you number if you ring up and ask them to but the same people will still target you and claim to be from Virgin because the numbers are Virgin Media numbers, they aren't just random.

Maybe now is a time to look at options of moving away from a landline as they are now starting to decommission traditional landlines, turn the ringer off on the landline but keep it connected for outgoing emergency calls.

I'm sorry we can't be of much more assistance but unfortunately the days of landlines is coming to an end.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Lolu17 wrote:

Thanks, I understand in regards to not being able to block all calls but like someone else’s post it’s the same people all the time.  If I change my number I understand that I will still receive scam callers but at the same time he ones that keep calling advising they are calling on behalf of virgin will not be able to get through... this has been going on for months and don’t want to have to keep ignoring the phone the first time it to rings.  I have vulnerable adults in my home and it’s important to keep the landline. I just want to change the number... I am happy to pay a fee if required

Would suggest that you look at a call screening device such as trueCall or some of the BT phone ranges which use trueCall technology.

These screen calls (rather than try to block numbers). This typically involves the caller having to press a key on their phone and then state who they are. Only then does your phone ring. You hear the caller's announcement and you then decide to accept or reject the call.

The majority of the scam calls about Virgin Media fake tech support come from automatic dialling software which is used to place and connect the calls. When the diallers are confronted with the instruction to press a key and identify themselves, they cannot respond to this and so the call is screened out by the device.

Refer here for a recent post with more info

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Landline-handset-to-block-unwanted-calls/m-p/4573945...

I use the trueCall standalone device. It has screened out all automated scam calls for me in the last few months.

If you would still like to change your number then one of the VM forum team staff should be able to do that for you and the first change of number should be free.

0 Kudos