cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need multiple landlines around home will it work with switchover?

KateLondon
Joining in

Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere (couldn't find it...)

I need to have landlines around my home - I can't use a mobile and I may need to call for help so need to be in striking distance of a landline handset.

VM have sent me 4 adapters and apparently will phone/email to arrange actual switchover.  They have confirmed one phone will be plugged into the hub instead of the wall socket, and insist the remaining 3 will work provided I install an adapter between the handsets and the existing/current wall sockets.  As these 3 will no longer be on the same circuit as the hub, I cannot see how that will work?

Has anyone managed to have multiple handsets around the home that all work without having to have 4 cables draped around - i.e. does what I am told, that the other three just plug into the existing wall sockets with the adaptors, actually defy logic and work?

30 REPLIES 30

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

By all means come back here when you have made a buying decision, so we can confirm it is suitable. Buy from a reputable UK source, because some cheap sets on eBay may not be the correct specification. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks again - ok, think that https://ligo.co.uk/siemens-gigaset-e370a-cordless-telephone-with-big-buttons-and-answer-machine-quad... or https://ligo.co.uk/gigaset-e560a-big-button-cordless-phone-with-answer-machine-quad-handset?gclid=Cj... which are wireless and cordless, and have 4 handsets, large buttons and what is described as a large screen (I suspect all relative).  However, they say they are DECT but *not* VOIP - will they work?  They note no nuisance call blocker but I have that set up with VM; I assumed the blocker was at their end so presumably will still work?  I can place the 3 handset-and-cradle things around the house and presumably plug in to the mains in each room, and they recharge the handsets in the cradles, with the answerphone unit being the one plugged into the hub and the mains - although the photos don't show any wires coming out of the base units/cradles so maybe it's all recharged by magic.

I'll also order one of their emergency backup phones which presumably lets you ring 150 to advise network is down although if it only has an hour's life that may not be enough :-).  Assume this thing has buttons not touch screen?  Do VM need to send an engineer to fit it? 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @KateLondon

Thanks for your reply and Happy Friday!

The handsets you've attached look like a very good choice and will certainly work well with the new system, we wouldn't need one of our engineers to fit these 🙂

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes that Siemens phone is a reliable brand and will do the job. The base will plug into the Hub with an small adapter that Virgin will provide. Don't worry about VOIP, that happens inside the Hub. 

I can't advise on the emergency phone, perhaps someone familiar with that can answer. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks for this. Virgin offered to give me a wired-in emergency phone but I think that only offers 999 whereas actually what you are most likely to need is 150 to tell Virgin their network has gone down.  So I bought a cheap but "large button large screen loud ring suitable for elderly" PAYG phone (which is huge) which I will update with my emergency phone numbers and keep in a safe place and just ring out on once every 6 months to keep the number live.  It does have a single SOS button so you can set it up to just ring a set of contacts in order by pressing the button once, just in case both my eyesight and VM have gone down at the same time...

Hey KateLondon, thank you for reaching out,

I am happy to see the VIP's give you some amazing tips.

This would be for emergency's such as 999.

However the option you have give is also a good back up.

Please do reach out if you need any more support. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Just to say that if you are using a mobile to call Virgin you will need to use the  0345 454 1111 number, not 150 

- jpeg1

BT put their program on hold and have apologised for not thinking through all the problems that VM customers are now experiencing and for the distress it is causing so many people. Evidently VM have decided to plough on regardless. In terms of connecting up extensions though, if the router is near the old master socket, it is a 5 minute job to wire up your existing extensions. Just take the master socket off the wall and remove the two original incoming wires. Get a standard telephone cable that plugs into the router and connect the 2 wires at the other end to where the original two wires were. Ideally you would use a special tool to push in the two wires but any small screwdriver will work. If in different rooms but the phone cable enters the house in the same place as for the router, you can just splice into it. For me however, VM tv and internet has never been reliable enough, so this is the final straw.

My apologies @Shark008 that you feel this way and are thinking about leaving us due to the reliability of our services. I am more than happy to help with any internet or TV service issues you are experiencing at this time if you like. 

Regarding your phone setup and the new IP system being implemented throughout the whole telecom and internet provide networks. I would not be able to advise further. 

Please let me know if you'd like any help with your internet and TV service concerns and we can investigate this with you. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

BT are only having a very temporary delay on switchover. They are still committed to the 2025 date like every other network. 

- jpeg1