Menu
Anabella1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

NEW PHONE SOCKET

After 45 minutes of playing tag with your system I am now told that you are not sending out engineers to move or add phone sockets! In order to start a new job I have to have a new connection installed and as you are my service provider I can now not start the job. I have been round the houses on chat bots and calls and people who cant help only to be told you are not doing installations ! So I can get drunk and I can get my nails done but I cant start a new job as I cant get an installation !! I think it would be great if you could provide your service to me for free as clearly without your installation I cant get a job and get paid! 

I cant be the only person in these times with remote working who needs this support and as the main supplier this is unacceptable! 

Amazingly enough you found a work around for new customers though ! Suprise suprise ! every year my bill goes up so as a customer of yours for 10 years I pay over £100 a month shame I am not new and getting your deals! 

To say I am over your company is an understatment 

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: NEW PHONE SOCKET

Hi @Anabella1 thanks for posting.

I am sorry you're unhappy with the covid enforced restrictions we have in place at this time.  At this time, as you're already aware we're unable to send an engineer to install an extension or relocate equipment.  Are definitely referring to this or are you referring to needing your phone handset in a more convenient location?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Anabella1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Lee, this cant be the case. We have so many different providers coming through to help people in this time of need, it's not like you are providing clothes or hair accessories! You are providing a service that people in all countries are needing and an installation of a socket is a standard function. Plus this argument no longer holds water as the UK has reduced its restrictions. It's ridiculous - builders are in next to mine and you came and installed a new system to the site but you cant put in a new socket. 

Carers, physio, delivery people, electricians, plumbers etc are all safe to come in and have been for months - you are the provider that can make a difference to people's lives - kids online learning, jobs, remote working! I have emailed your CEO as this is not acceptable especially as the UK is now unlocked and I do hope someone else in this community is forewarned! 

The minute I can see and find an alternative provider I will be off, this is the final straw as I have forgiven your poor service and ongoing increases in costs for years and loyalty gets us nowhere! 

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry you feel this way @Anabella1

Please can you confirm what it is you're looking to achieve?  Was it an extension so you could have your existing service in a more convenient location?  Or was it a new line with an entirely different number?

Regards

Lee

0 Kudos
Anabella1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I have a phone line downstairs with the wifi box, but I am not allowed to work from my lounge. I have to work from a separate room and my spare room is upstairs. 

So, I want a phone socket or a way to plug in a corded phone and desktop into the wifi from my upstairs room. So it is not a new line, it is a way to have a phone and router in my spare room upstairs. I am not looking for a new line unless of course, that is the only way to get this problem solved and if that is the case then do advise. 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Most other internet providers have been restricting jobs that access peoples homes, & even with restrictions being lifted there is a backlog of work that has to be caught up on.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/03/openreach-to-resume-uk-ultrafast-broadband-installs-ne... 

There is an alternative now where the phone can be plugged into your internet hub, replacing the use of the master socket. This is being used with all new customers now owing to the old analogue phone network being shut down in 2025. Is doing this advantagious?

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Anabella1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I have to say when dealing with someone who is obviously fuming and very angry and someone who has been with you for many years, sending me a link about how your industry have failed people but not providing this service and also quoting now that there will be a backlog, of course there will as none of you have even started to do the job - I have to say if you think that this is going to make me less angry it has just made me livid! 

There is an alternative now where the phone can be plugged into your internet hub, replacing the use of the master socket. This is being used with all new customers now owing to the old analogue phone network being shut down in 2025. Is doing this advantagious?

I have no idea, you are my service provider, I am asking you for a solution to my problem which is an easy win which you cannot do, so you tell me - is this an option???

I have a wifi box attached to a load of plugs in my lounge - I need to be able to have access to a landline and a router in my upstairs bedroom - I am guessing that none of these things are moveable?? But then I am not a systems expert and you and your company are 

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Ref the phone line extension, you would have to pay VM £99 to do this if they were actually available for you. Is a cordless phone arrangement an option with the base station plugged in downstairs and a cordless handset upstairs. You can get a double or triple pack of cordless phones for that kind of price.

Alternatively, if you are just looking for an extension from the master phone wall socket downstairs there is nothing to stop you employing your own local supplier to do that (such as an electrician, computer/networking supplier, independent telecoms engineer, smart home or audio-visual supplier etc.). It may well be less than the £99 VM cost.

Ref plugging in the desktop to work upstairs, you would need an ethernet cable installing to do that from downstairs to upstairs and VM does not install those so, if you require that, you could bundle that in with the phone extension task and give the work to a local installer to do both.

Alternatively, if you get a decent wi-fi signal upstairs, buy a plug-in wireless adapter for the desktop and run that wirelessly. A wired powerline connection from downstairs to upstairs may also be possible but performance would be dependent on your home electrics as to how well that worked.

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Anabella1 thanks for getting back to me.

At this time the only 2 solutions I can suggest is we can supply you with a Plume Pod to help with the signal to your room.  And as @goslow has suggested you can purchase cordless handsets. If you wish to discuss the options of the pods, please do get back to me.

Regards

Lee

0 Kudos
Anabella1
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you - all equipment has to be plugged into the mains. So the conversation which I had with your VM team which was pointless suggested a new socket.

Basically, I need to plug a phone with a cord into a socket in the room I will be in and I need to plug the LAN line into a router in the room that I am in eg upstairs vs downstairs. 

I have spoken to local suppliers who are concerned if they touch anything VM related it will cause an issue so all in all day two - no solution to the actual issue 

0 Kudos