Menu
Highlighted
jamieallan21
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Mystery Calls to 0123 000 0000

After a prolonged outage on my broadband and phone service yesterday (my phone service is via the router - VoIP) I logged onto my account today to find that there are 4 entries in the call charges from 2 days ago to the above number. All list the time and date to be the exact same and all for £0.26 cost. As I was the only one home at the time - it was morning two days ago so I do remember - I know that I didn't make any calls. I therefore contacted 150 this morning to query this. I spent 10 fruitless minutes on to Virgin. The callcentre operative I spoke to didn't seem to know what he was doing and asked me the same security questions at least twice, he started looking at my August bill - not from 2 days ago, and then finally said that the number above is one that I had set as a reminder. I told him this was not the case but he simply said I'd need to leave it till after my bill for this month is settled before querying it. This is surely nonsense. This number does not exist so how can I be charged for it? Furthermore having done a search of this forum I see others have had the same issue with being charged for calls to this number. Can someone in Virgin sort this out quickly?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
nick_london
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mystery Calls to 0123 000 0000

I wonder if this is the talking clock on 123 and for some reason it’s being displayed as 0123 000 0000 on bills

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jamieallan21
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Nick,

I don't think that's the case. As I said I was at home - and the only one at home - during the time listed and I certainly didn't make any calls. Even if these were logged as calls to the speaking clock I would have no reason to call the speaking clock as I have a wrist watch permanently on and a smart phone that has a network updated clock display. It's been suggested in other posts here and elsewhere that Virgin claim these 'calls' are due to crossed lines - however since my telephone is physically plugged into the back of the router as I'm on voice over IP I can't see how they could claim this in this instance - I have no 'line' to cross. The actual costs in this instance are immaterial but the fact that they are happening and could be much more expensive and the fact that Virgin aren't prepared to do anything to resolve this until after I've paid the bill is not acceptable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
nick_london
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It’s definitely the speaking clock and I have seen loads of threads about the same issue. I don’t see why they won’t credit you for this until after the bill date that’s ridiculous.

The quickest and easiest way for them to fix it is to make the speaking clock free. But what’s to say other phone numbers might start appearing on bills.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi jamieallan21,

Sorry to hear of the call charge dispute, have you spoken to the team since posting?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jamieallan21
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

John,

I've not spoken to anyone since posting my first comment on this matter. The time I spent on the phone to the agent on 150 (see above) was quite frankly a waste of time and I doubt it would be any better if I called again. The Chat Online service seems to continually display the message 'Sorry, the team are currently unavailable, please try again later.' In other words despite being a communications company it's difficult to communicate with Virgin media in any sensible form. 

I had a previous requirement to contact VM regarding nuisance calls that have only started happening since my move to VM ( I ported my previous number over and never received these calls before) and never did get a reply to that either.

As a relatively new customer I'm particularly unimpressed with VM customer service and because of this I'm already considering my options come the end of my year's contract.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
nick_london
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

With regards to nuisance calls I am sure it’s purely coincidence that you’re receiving them since joining Virgin Media, I can’t think of any reason other than this especially since you posted over your number.

I hope the online team get back to you regarding your other issues soon.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jamieallan21
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Well I've just received my bill and one call has been charged to it. I've tried again to contact VM on the chat online service but it is still showing as unavailable. I'm not prepared to spend more time calling 150 as I've already done so to no avail. Searching this site and the wider internet gives many instances of this particular issue with in most cases no VM response or resolution. As far as my nuisance calls are concerned I do not believe for a moment that it is pure coincidence that these have started since I moved to VM. I've had my number for more than 12 years with no issues before this. I've been on the Telephone Preference Service for many years but these calls are international (sounds like a south Asian callcentre) so aren't covered.

I've had no response from VM whatsoever - other than an email telling me my bill is ready. As I've stated I'm not impressed with VM's lack of response and I'll certainly be looking for a new service provider once my 12 month contract is up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jamieallan21
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Just one thing I should point out - though I may be regarded as a cynic. When I called 150 earlier this week I was told I'd need wait until the bill was submitted by VM to me before querying these calls. Now the bill has arrived and as the calls are under £0.50 each they are not listed by number - you are simply told that calls under £0.50 are below the itemisation threshold. So if I hadn't logged onto my account at that time I'd never have seen the number that was allegedly called. Being a cynic it would make me wonder whether this isn't simply a money making scam where unsuspecting account holders simply assume that charges under £0.50 per call must have been made or can't be bothered pursuing the issue. In my case here it's added 1% to my bill for a call that wasn't made. If that were reflected across the who customer base that would be a significant amount of money for no outlay.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
nick_london
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

That’s disappointing to hear. I’m surprised they haven’t picked this up on here.

I would definitely try 150 another try now that the bill has arrived though. I will keep an eye out on my bills as well.

0 Kudos