cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving phone to fibre issues.

ajo
Tuning in

We had an email about this, but I think there are going to be some issues so I need some guidance so I can set this up in the best way.

Our router is outside the loft bedroom. This was where the computer was when we first had Telewest installed. It was quite in install, going from the street, up the side of the house and all through the loft storage space and then onto the landing. They did a good job. There is also a Telewest phone socket here but no extra power socket. We also have an inverter in the loft for solar panels which is plugged into the hub for monitoring.

There is a phone by our front door. Is this the main phone? How do I know which is the main phone socket? Can I use the Telewest phone socket that is by the hub, as the “main” one and plug in a phone, also keeping the phone by the front door connected?

It's going to be hard to move the hub, otherwise we will need to run ethernet through the house from the inverter, and I cant see a way to get it near the main phone.

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM can modify your home phone wiring free of charge as part of the switchover (rather than moving the hub). This will allow you to keep equipment in the same place.

If you already have a phone socket next to the VM hub, a VM tech can use a lead to take the connection from the phone socket on the hub and 'backfeed' that into the adjacent phone socket. That will connect your existing phone sockets to the phone connection on the VM hub.

An example of what might be used, from a past topic, is shown in message #9 below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/HUB3-to-Master-socket-adaptor/m-p/4507007#M262932...

This process is often done once the switchover has happened because the old incoming phone cable from the street should be disconnected from the master socket to prevent cross-connecting the new line via the hub back out into the street cabinet.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @ajo,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with our new landline switchover.

As @goslow advised, our technicians can assist with ensuring that your equipment is in the best place for you.

Would you like us to arrange this for you? Please let us know so that we can help further.

Thank you! 😊 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Sorry for the late reply Paulina. How can this be arranged?

Hi @ajo,

I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments so that we can help you with this. Please respond to this when you can and we'll proceed from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!