Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Moving house - want to forward calls to new number

Hi

We're moving house, from London to Somerset, and ideally want to keep our existing phone number.  Virgin Media say that's not possible - is there a work around?  I've heard about transferring it to Voip - can anyone suggest a solution please?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving house - want to forward calls to new number

Virgin are correct you cannot have a London prefix when living in Somerset. 

You can port your number to a virtual landline company like vonage and keep your number that way.  However you essentially will be paying line rental to virgin and another line rental to vonage

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Catherine

I presume that there is still time before you are actually moving?

Some years ago I set up an account with a VoIP company.  I was able to initially choose the STD code I wanted.  Subsequently I transferred a favourite landline number to the account but you can do that on registration.  Registration is simple to do online and an account in basic form incurs no monthly charge and basic is versatile.  No charges on incoming calls and call charges are cheap and deducted from whatever initial credit you choose to add which remains until used.  Top up is easy.  You need to have and set up a VoIP phone (mine is an elderly Grandstream GXP 1450) connected by an ethernet cable to the router.  The sound quality is HD.

When I moved home it was a simple plug-in to the new router and a change of address form (for emergency services notification) to do online.

I can tell you more if you wish.  Just send me a Private Message and I will reply.

Best Regards

Claws

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Catherine, 

Thanks for your post and welcome 🙂

Our community have advised correctly in that it's not possible to keep your number in this situation.

I am sorry we're not able to help with this.

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi JB,
Thanks for your suggestion - can I transfer my VM number to Vonage (or whoever) before I move?
Grateful for your help
thank you!
0 Kudos