cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move phone to different room

NewVolt2
Tuning in

We had Virgin TV and broadband installed yesterday - 1Gb Volt, Hub 5, main 360 box plus a second box upstairs. The install was fast, efficient, and the engineer was great.

We do have one issue that we could do with sorting out - our landline was plugged into a socket downstairs in the lounge but, in order to test the new landline number was working, we moved the phone upstairs to plug it into the Hub which is located in a bedroom we use as an office. Phone worked great as did all the other Virgin services but....

We've realised that we need the phone downstairs in the lounge where it was as the base unit that plugs into the socket has the answer machine controls. No point in the phone being upstairs in the study as the landline is never used for anything work related.

We don't have a phone socket upstairs and don't want to want to run an extender cable inside the house. Can we get the downstairs landline socket connected to the Virgin Hub somehow? If so, chargeable or considered part of install?

thanks in advance...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@NewVolt2 wrote:
Thanks for the response...

Thanks Reece

I don't really want to move the Hub as its in the home office where we get optimal wifi speeds and can connect devices directly via ethernet.

Would the installer be able to add new phone socket to the exterior wall of the room in which the Hub is located then run a phone-compatible cable alongside the existing co-ax down to the existing master socket? We'd then be able to plug the phone back in where it was

VM should be able to do what you want for the £25 fee mentioned.

Is your phone a cordless system?

If so, see if you can buy an additional satellite cordless handset to go with the existing system.

Plug the base upstairs into the hub and use a cordless satellite handset downstairs. This would avoid any further wiring disruption.

If you are using cordless, check the manual for your system for all available functions. Most allow full control of things like answering machine, missed calls etc. from a satellite phone. You don't always need to be standing next to the base station for those functions.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi NewVolt2,

Thanks for posting, and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear there are some problems with the location of your Landline. If our team were to convert your downstairs Landline socket to our Fibre Phone (21CV) service, then this would require a cable from the back of your Hub to the socket itself, there is no other way to do this without relocating the Hub itself.

As the installation has already been completed, this move would come at a one-time charge of £25. Please do let us know if you wish to go ahead with this, and we can get this arranged.

Thanks, 

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Thanks Reece

I don't really want to move the Hub as its in the home office where we get optimal wifi speeds and can connect devices directly via ethernet.

Would the installer be able to add new phone socket to the exterior wall of the room in which the Hub is located then run a phone-compatible cable alongside the existing co-ax down to the existing master socket? We'd then be able to plug the phone back in where it was

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@NewVolt2 wrote:

Thanks Reece

VM should be able to do what you want for the £25 fee mentioned.

Is your phone a cordless system?

If so, see if you can buy an additional satellite cordless handset to go with the existing system.

Plug the base upstairs into the hub and use a cordless satellite handset downstairs. This would avoid any further wiring disruption.

If you are using cordless, check the manual for your system for all available functions. Most allow full control of things like answering machine, missed calls etc. from a satellite phone. You don't always need to be standing next to the base station for those functions.

We're going to leave the base set with answerphone plugged into the hub and use a another handset downstairs.

We've had the cordless for at least 14 years and have just realised we can pick up and delete answer machine messages from the handset without touching the base 🙂

We've also realised that we have anew number that isn't known to anyone and that only one person ever call us on the landline - its easier to get that one person to call the mobile number rather than the landline.

No requirement for any further moves/work from the install team.

I don't suppose the Forum team know whether we can cancel the landline element of the service? 

thanks again for responses...

Thank you @NewVolt2 

Our team on 0345 454 1111 would be happy to take a look into this for you but we cannot do package changes via the forums. 

Please do give the team a call and they will be happy to look at what packages we can offer. 

I have my VM Broadband located in my bedroom as that is where the phone box is. I have just added on the TV package to my bill however I am not able to have it in the living room without running a cable through my flat.

Would it be possible to have a phone box installed in my living room or have it moved from my bedroom? I would prefer my broadband in the living room but it hasn’t been an issue until now so I settled for it in the bedroom. 

Thanks, Kayleigh

Hi @Kayleighmcm 👋 Thank you for your post and welcome to the Virgin Media Community 😀

Just to confirm, is your landline connected to the back of your Hub?

We can certainly look into re-locating your Hub, but there would be a one-off charge of £25.

Please let us know your thoughts whenever you're ready and we'll do our very best to help.

Regards,
Daniel