cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mother's phone cut off because Virgin Media changed to fibre phone line

MikeDawson
Joining in

So, I tried to call my mother last Friday to see how she is. She is 84 lives alone and is vulnerable. I couldnt get through to her, i tried again 3 more times over the next half hour. It was very unlike her not to answer. I live about 45 minutes away jumped into car as i was worried she might have fallen or not well. When i got there she was stood doing her ironing! i was so relieved she was ok. I explained about the phone calls, she told me she hadnt had any calls all day. I checked the phone connecting, there was a dial tone. I tried calling my mobile from her phone and it worked but i couldnt call her. She then showed me some literature she had recieved from Virgin Media but said she didnt understand what it meant. She had been sent an adapter to attach on the end of phone line and apparently this needed plugging into the router. Her internet router is upstairs next to the computer (my father when he was alive was the only person who used the internet so thats where the router is). I plugged in the phone into the router and everything worked. I took the phone back downstairs and plugged it back in and i could only make calls out but couldnt receive calls. I tried to call virgin media and no suprise.....couldnt get through, waited 15 minutes and gave up. Tried again but huge queue. I went back on Saturday and my mother said she hadnt been able to make calls out either. She is totally cut off, doesnt have a mobile. All her emergency numbers are on the phone. She is undergoing treatment from Doctor/hospital for various illnesses and now has no contact. I have had to lend her a mobile phone, which she is struggling with as she has never used one. Its disgusting that Virgin Media have done this. I'm sure many more vulnerable people have had this dont to them. I have tried to call virgin media and also tried the online chat but its not a real person you are chatting with, its a bot! Not sure what to do next.

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here, when they reply to this topic) to modify your mother's home phone wiring so she can use her existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit? You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
• You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
• The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Alternatively, a cordless phone system allows you to use phones around the home with no wiring modifications or disruption. Plug the cordless base station into the VM hub and use the cordless satellite phones around your home as required. If you already have a cordless system, you may be able to add in another cordless satellite phone to the existing setup as/if required. If you needed to buy a cordless phone system, to avoid any rewiring work, this would be at a cost to you.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @MikeDawson 👋

A warm welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am so sorry for the experience.

I'd love to help further with this so will pop you a PM 📩 now. 

Hope to hear from you soon.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for the update via PM @MikeDawson 

I'm glad all has been resolved. 

If you need anything else, let me know. 

All the best 😊

Ayisha_B