cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem does not work with Hub 5

abrahad
On our wavelength

For some time I have been using a nuisance call blocker plugged into a telephone extension socket.  When I was moved to the Hub 5 telephone connection the call blocker was disconnected.  My DECT telephone continues to work with no problems with the Hub 5.

Because of a recent spate of nuisance calls, I decided to re-connect the call blocker but I cannot get it to work.  The call blocker consists of a Creative Labs Modem Blaster PCI card in a Windows computer running purpose written software.

As far as I can see, the modem is unable to detect "RING" from an incoming call or any of the data.  I have tried connecting the modem via a two way BT adapter and also by putting the modem in series using the Phone and Line connectors on the modem card.  I have also tried it with the phone disconnected.  If I call the house phone from my mobile I can hear the modem squirting out data.  The phone continues to work however it is connected.

Any suggestions would be welcome as these nuisance calls are driving us mad!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Sounds like an unusual and technical arrangement!

Is the Creative Modem expecting to see a ringing wire connected to Pin 3 on the BT connector plug?

The phone connection on the VM hubs is a 2 wire arrangement (BT Pins 2 and 5) fed via the VM-supplied adapter.

We often see topics on here about old phones making no ringing sound for an incoming call

Some telephones (usually from the early 2000s or before) rely on an electronic component (a ‘ringing capacitor’) in the telephone master socket to generate a ringing signal.

The adapter, supplied by VM to use with the hub, does not contain this ringing capacitor so some old phones make no ringing sound.

Some people, with the same non-ringing problem in past topics on here, have reported success with this item

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394945524434

which contains the ringing capacitor to make old phones ring. However, there is no guarantee at all it will fix the problem for your specific device so keep that in mind when deciding to spend any money to buy/try one.

It is a generic telecoms part (so you don’t have to buy the specific eBay item). An online search on

RJ11 plug to BT socket adapter with ringing capacitor

should find similar items from different suppliers.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Sounds like an unusual and technical arrangement!

Is the Creative Modem expecting to see a ringing wire connected to Pin 3 on the BT connector plug?

The phone connection on the VM hubs is a 2 wire arrangement (BT Pins 2 and 5) fed via the VM-supplied adapter.

We often see topics on here about old phones making no ringing sound for an incoming call

Some telephones (usually from the early 2000s or before) rely on an electronic component (a ‘ringing capacitor’) in the telephone master socket to generate a ringing signal.

The adapter, supplied by VM to use with the hub, does not contain this ringing capacitor so some old phones make no ringing sound.

Some people, with the same non-ringing problem in past topics on here, have reported success with this item

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394945524434

which contains the ringing capacitor to make old phones ring. However, there is no guarantee at all it will fix the problem for your specific device so keep that in mind when deciding to spend any money to buy/try one.

It is a generic telecoms part (so you don’t have to buy the specific eBay item). An online search on

RJ11 plug to BT socket adapter with ringing capacitor

should find similar items from different suppliers.

abrahad
On our wavelength

Hi Goslow,

I will try changing the adapter for one with a capacitor as they are not expensive.  Will post results once I have tried it.

abrahad
On our wavelength

The adapter with ringing capacitor does allow the modem to detect the "Ring" signal but I'm still getting no data.  The Virgin website states:

Old Caller Display phones and units (in particular pre-1999 sets) may not be able to receive Caller Display from a cable line.

So this may be the problem.  I will try a different modem when I can find it.

Client62
Legend

I fear you could end up with a quite pile of USR / Zoom / Hayes / Motorola modems and still be no closer.

Many VM customers even with current BT Phones including call managers have issues with Caller Id & especially Withheld number processes not functioning as expected when connected to the TEL 1 socket of a VM Hub.

We can only conclude that VM have not followed the BT SIN documents for "Caller ID Method" and "Caller ID FSK Standard"  in their implementation of an analogue telephone service from the Hub.

abrahad
On our wavelength

It's a pity Virgin don't have a service like BT call protect to stop these scam and nuisance calls before we get them.

Hi abrahad thanks for getting back to us.

Sorry to hear of any inconvenience that our not having some call features/services, may be causing.  We'll certainly pass on any feedback regarding this, to the relevant teams.

Regards

Lee_R

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I would recommend this device

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

In past cases on here, where caller ID problems have cropped up, the trueCall support people have been able to dial in to the device and tweak the settings to match VM's caller ID.

You might also find this interesting (section 18 which lists some of the issues wil caller ID and modems)

https://electronics-diy.com/schematics/738/cli_faq.htm

The age of the document and the age of a Sound Blaster modem are probably within the same sort of timeframe!

abrahad
On our wavelength

Thanks for the link.  I haven't seen that document before. There is a lot there to read through.

I have looked at commercially available call blockers like trueCall but I enjoy coding my own software and I can add features not available usually like blocking all numbers with certain area-codes which can dramatically cut down on scams from overseas scammers who purchase numbers from a "Telecom" company.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You need only read section 18 in relation to caller ID and modems.

Coding your own system sounds interesting but you won't get very far without a modem that can recognise VM's caller ID and other line settings from the hub.