cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration to Fibre Phone

Geoff_T1
On our wavelength

I received my adapter and instructions in August. I have had a succession of calls from VM. At first these were simply explaining over and over what was going to happen, but I wasn't told to try connecting my phone to the router yet. Finally someone suggested trying it. I did, but there was no line detected and no dial tone or ability to make or receive calls. I also noticed my Hub 3.0 Admin page says 'Telephony (disabled)'.

I have since had several more calls from VM, and I have described the situation. They offer to send an engineer. However, looking at some other posts on this forum, I wonder whether this can be sorted out remotely, without requiring an engineer. Is there any way that telephony can be enabled on my Hub - and will this allow me to plug my phone into it (via the adapter) and it will work?

A little extra information: I only have one handset that is plugged into a wall socket (I do have a second handset, but it is connected to the first handset wirelessly)

18 REPLIES 18

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Geoff_T1,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you've had some issues with the line. 

In order for us to see what the issue is, can you first reboot your hub and try connecting the phone to it directly with the adapter?

Thanks,

Alex_Rm

Geoff_T1
On our wavelength

Thanks for the quick response. I did already try a reboot after my initial attempt failed, but I can try it again in the next day or so (Not right now, as people are using the internet for work) I'll let you know what the result is.

Thanks Geoff_T1 🙂

Please keep us posted with how you get on with this.

Alex_Rm

Geoff_T1
On our wavelength

Hi

No luck, I'm afraid. Here's the sequence of events:
1) rebooted router
2) unplugged phone from land-line and plugged into router (verified that plugged into correct socket and using adapter provided)
3) no line detected by phone
4) checked router admin status page but says Telephony (Disabled)
5) waited a few minutes to see if phone would be detected, but it wasn't
6) rebooted router again (in case it needed to happen *with* the phone already plugged in)
7) repeated steps 3 - 5 but all was exactly as before

Isn't there something that you can do which will enable telephony? It sounds like a setting that has to be turned on.

Regards

Hi Geoff, can you try the original phone into the wall socket please? You've not been migrated yet. I can see from a system check we've offered an engineer to do this but you have refused, would you like us to send one out to complete it?

Best, 

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Geoff_T1
On our wavelength

The original phone is back in the wall socket and is working.

I don't believe I need someone to come here physically to enable telephony. I have read in some other posts on here that it's something that can be done remotely. That's the reason I refused your offer of an engineer, plus we're trying to limit the number of strangers who come into our home in the run-up to Christmas and during Covid times.

We would need an engineer visit Geoff, would you like to book this in for the migration? 

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Geoff_T1
On our wavelength

John

This goes against everything Virgin Media have told me up to date about migration. I have never been told that an engineer has to be present to carry out the migration. I've understood that under most circumstances you migrate me remotely, send me an adapter, I plug it in and the phone works.

To be honest, this whole business has made me look elsewhere for my internet and phone. I've received endless calls from your people, none of whom seems to know what is going on (beyond what is written on their sheet of paper) I've had to put them right every time. I've just about had enough, and it's over something as simple as a phone migration. You are about to lose a customer of many years.

Geoff

I understand your concern Geoff, however, this is fully noted that an engineer visit is needed for it. I am sorry for any inconvienience caused.

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team