Menu
Spambhoy
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Migration of house telephone to fibre in August

Historically, Virgin broadband took the service from BT and the same cost was integrated into the home broadband contract ( e.g. £19/month ). If the original “copper” connection is being ditched, why are we still being charged for a telephone line that doesn’t exist anymore ?

0 Kudos
Richw1982
Rising star
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Migration of house telephone to fibre in August

It does still exist, it just goes through 21CV rather than TDM.  At some point it will switch from Virgin network to BTs and they will still charge Virgin for that service.  BT will also probably charge for dealing with location information for emergency services

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

21CV just removes the twisted pair between the customer & the local fibre node, where everything goes fibre back to the headend telephone exchange as it has always done. Exchanges won’t be decommissioned until 2025, when we will then get true VoIP services.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

VM has always had its own PSTN and will continue to have its own phone system, no reliance on BT. I was a subscriber of a main predecessor company - Telewest - which installed its own telephone exchanges in 1993 using the DMS-100 system from Northern Telecom, and it was the first UK cable TV franchise holder to do so.

You will continue to be charged for this phone service as it will still cost money to run even without the phone wires.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos