cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration of Virgin Media landline from wire to wifi

travel-buddy
On our wavelength

This posting is more about experience than posting a question. I have my landline and broadband (Hub4) with VM. I also have a home security alarm which dials out if triggered. So a few days ago I was switched from copper cable to WiFi ( port 1 on the Hub4 ). I had planned ahead and so connected my landline cordless phones and joined a new cable to the old cable from the Alarm to a splitter which i plugged into port1 of the WiFi hub. All went well, however when testing incoming and outgoing calls there was a humming and high rate clicking sound on the line. After many failed attempts to resolve I found that by disconnecting the inbound (old) landline cable from the junction box which also had the Alarm cable in from the Alarm and output cable to the WiFi hub, the interference disappeared. Thus indicating that although VM redirect calls over wifi the old copper cable remains live. Hope this will help others who also have a dial out Security Alarm.

5 REPLIES 5

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @travel-buddy thanks for your post here in the Community, although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised.

We do appreciate you taking the time to voice your experience, hopefully this will help others!
Many thanks

Tom_W

NinjaMeerkat
Fibre optic

I have the same experience where after the “switchover” both the copper and router connections work. I can make calls and presumably receive calls on both connections.

Hi @NinjaMeerkat thanks for your reply.
That is very strange, although I have heard of this on a few occasions but it has not impacted anything on the service. 

Please let us know if you need any further help if anything changes!
Many thanks

Tom_W

@Tom_W1 wrote:

That is very strange, although I have heard of this on a few occasions but it has not impacted anything on the service. 

Please let us know if you need any further help if anything changes!
Many thanks

Hi Tom

Since the switchover I have had BB issues which I have been in contact with Gareth about. Your CS agents have been clueless so far and an engineering visit is scheduled for tomorrow to fix the faulty BB caused by the switchover.

Really sorry to hear this - glad that Gareth has been able to assist however, in getting this on the way to being sorted.

If you still need further help, don't hesitate to reach back out to Gareth directly. 

Many thanks

Tom_W