cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating my landline number to VoIP provider

Luqybb91
Dialled in

Hello. I am currently in the process of migrating my number from Virgin to Andrews & Arnold VoIP service. They have asked me to verify with my provider if my number is a single line number, or a multi line number, this is so the number porting process goes smoothly and the number porting request doesn't get rejected, otherwise additional charges will apply.

My number has a 4 digit area code (0116) followed by 7 digits, I don't have any other numbers. Could someone please help me, thank you.

17 REPLIES 17

Using a DOCSIS hub purely to support a phone line is effective but not very efficient - the hubs idle at around 12 watts, so at current electricity prices that's around £36 extra on your electricity bill each year. 

In comparison, the energy use of an ATA for use with AAISP's VOIP service will consume about 2 watts (£6 a year), based on data for Grandstream products.  I'd guess there's an Openreach ONT and a router drawing power as well if you're dropping VM broadband,  but you'd be using those anyway (or equivalent altnet CPE).

We should still be able to provide a phone line via our hub to support you with the porting over of the landline number.

What's the current status of your services? 

When is the new service due to be installed?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

I intend to switch to Giganet, but their VoIP service won't be live until mid January, signing up to AAISP's VoIP service is only a temporary measure to keep my LL number, once Giganet is live I'm going to drop AAISP's VoIP service because I'd much prefer my BB & LL/VoIP all come from 1 provider. But then I received conflicting information, a member on the forum says you can cancel your BB+TV without losing the LL, but service rep on the phone said you can't do that, now forum member is saying you can as long as you're moving to a new property.

The issue I'm having is, if it is possible to hold onto my LL number after ending my BB+TV services and switching to Giganet, I feel like signing up to AAISP's VoIP service was pointless, not to mention the price of all the good ATA adapters with good security are priced above £40, which is more than what I'm willing to spend on an ATA.

I haven't signed up to my new provider because of all the landline complications, and also because Giganet's LL/VoIP service doesn't go live until mid January.

Thanks for coming back to us @Luqybb91, I would advise that I'd agree with my colleague on the forums to say keeping the landline number whilst utilising the hub should still be possible - with the cancellation of the broadband services.

What date are you due to have the new services installed?

As with our cancellations terms and conditions, you would be required to serve a 30 day notice period - which if issued today would take us into January.

A viable option might be to continue with Virgin Media for a further two or three weeks to make it a smoother switching over of all services in one go, rather than using our hub for landline services only.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

To put it simply. I will hopefully be switching to Giganet in early January. Giganets phone service doesn't go live until mid January. So the question is: after cancelling my  BB/TV services with Virgin and successfully switching to Giganet, can I hold onto my Virgin LL subscription until Giganets phone service goes live?

Ok, so it looks like I can hold onto it until the switch. Thanks David.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I have to say that although Giganet are providing a VoIP based phone service, it is still tied to them. If you then move to a new provider you again have to port your number out. Apart from possibly a small cost saving you are tied to one supplier at one address.

I have a line with Vonage, so if I changed provider from VM I don’t have to port out. I can also plug the Vonage adapter into ANY internet hub on any service & I can use it to make “home” phone calls wherever I am.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks