Menu
factgasm
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Make phone calls to a foreign country.

I have been trying to contact my son who is currently in Indonesia. 

We have been dialling 0062 followed by his number, but each time we finish dialling his number the only thing we hear is a long "BEEEEEEEE" sound and nothing else, as if the line is dead. We hear no indication that the system is attempting to connect to him.

We know that we are dialling his number correctly. Is there any reason why we cannot connect to him? Is it something to do with our Virgin package? Do we have to confirm to you that we want to make international calls? Or something else?

We have also tried calling our daughter-in-law's numbers in Indonesia too. She has two phones, each with different Indonesian mobile phone service providers. When we try calling her, we get the same result - a dead line.

Please help. We are an elderly couple. While our son is able to phone us, but we are unable to phone him, so in the event of an emergency we would not be able to contact him.

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Make phone calls to a foreign country.

Hi Factgasm, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having with calling his number, can you have a look at the link here and see if you are still having issues following this? Are you calling from a Virgin landline or Mobile? Chris

0 Kudos
factgasm
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris, thanks for replying.

Yes we have been dialling 0062 followed by the appropriate number as shown in the link. We are calling from a Virgin landline.

Our son has lived in South East Asia for years, so we are used to phoning him. He is going to check with his service provider in Indonesia to check if there is a an issue there.

0 Kudos
Ryan_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To confirm - have you been able to call the numbers previously? 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos
factgasm
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank for replying.

Over the years we have called him in Indonesia more times than we've had hot dinners.

Earlier today, my son visited his local mobile carrier customer service centre in Indonesia. They checked their system and confirmed to him that, as far as they could see, there was no reason why he would not be able to receive calls from outside Indonesia.

While he was speaking to customer services there, he made phone calls to me in the UK directly from his own phone and also made calls to our phone using Skype.

Clearly we can receive calls FROM him, the problem is that we cannot make calls TO him. Also, Apple will not allow us to install Skype on our old-ish iPad, and WhatsApp for iPad isn't available.

Please help.

0 Kudos
factgasm
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just to add, our landline phone is a BT cordless phone model 4600. We have checked the user manual and it does not appear that we are doing anything wrong.

0 Kudos
Ryan_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I doubt you would be doing anything wrong if you have been able to do this before. 

Don't worry - I will send you over a private message to help. 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos
factgasm
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, we don't know our password. We will try and give Virgin a call on Monday.

Thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Why don't you answer Ryan-N's private message instead of trying do do anything yourself? He is VM staff and offering to help. Look at the top of this page for purple envelope in the right hand corner. Click on it and read and reply to the message.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear this, if you're the account holder you can pass alternative security if needed.

Please respond to Ryan's private message so he can assist. 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos