Menu
tc571212
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Make Calls From PC?

In this day and age are they any plans for this feature?

I'm paying more than double the price for line rental per month than my mobile contract for which I get much more value?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Make Calls From PC?

In this day and age are they any plans for this feature?

What do you think?  As long as people keep paying, most companies will work on the basis that no change is needed, and VM certainly subscribe to that view.

You could of course use Skype for voice calls.  There's plenty of other VOIP services, but Skype is arguably the easiest and lowest risk to get setup and working.  See how you get on using Skype exclusively for a month (but without cancelling your VM landline).  Free to call other Skype users, call charges to other telephone providers are competitive, you can PAYG or buy bundled minutes, and you can subscribe for an inbound geographic call number for about a fiver a month, so that other people can contact you as normal.  The inbound number location can be chosen, but there's a limited list to choose from, so you might have to have somewhere nearby rather your current landline prefix. If you're desperate for either your current landline number or the same exchange prefix, then consider other VOIP providers, but watch out for setup costs and any contract termination fees.

If it doesn't do what you want you can cancel at the end of the month, and your costs will have been minimal.  If it works well enough, then you can cancel your VM landline and any call packages.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello

If you are running Windows 10 you can use the phone app to make calls from a mobile that is linked to it https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4531605/setting-up-and-using-calls

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

tc571212
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike but I'm talking about landline calls but probably not even that. VOIP tech has been around for years so 'line rental' seems to be a redundant idea?

The HUB 3 has RJ15 jacks, why aren't they employed?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

*RJ11 they are used for the landlines now.
But its not voip and you can't use your PC for them.
0 Kudos