Menu
TurbineGuy
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Lost Landline number from Sky to Virgin

Hi All.  I know this has been asked many times before but I can't find a suitable answer to my issue other than posting here.

We switched our account from Sky to Virgin last month.  We were told that our number would switch on the 26th Sept but on that day the old number just died and we are left with the "temporary number" that was issued from Virgin.  A call to Virgin said that they had not received an order to port the number and would activate this immediately and number would port on 4th October......No it didn't!

Numerous calls to Virgin have resulted in the final call answer from (lack) of customer services stated "Sorry your number has been discontinued and we cannot port it.  We can sell you a mobile package as they are much more convenient!!!!"

We have had this number for over 40 years and my mother (who is in her seventies) is very worried about this as she and her partner have medical needs and all the service providers have the old number.

I see that other have had successful results by posting here and I am hoping for the same.  Please can someone Help?  Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lost Landline number from Sky to Virgin

Usually the reason for numbers being lost is because the customer does not follow the OFCOM set procedure & wrongly gives notice of cancellation to the provider they are moving from, therefore blocking the porting request.

If you asked VM to take the number & did not give notice to Sky then it is VMs fault. VM can ask for it but the number allocation is ultimately Skys & only they can make the decision to release it from their "pool" of numbers as you have effectively ceased rights over it.

The Forum Team here may take several days to respond, so you will have to keep your fingers crossed.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi TurbineGuy,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear of the number port issue. I can fully understand the inconvenience this would cause. Is the number still active? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
TurbineGuy
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi John_GS

no the number is now discontinued as it has been 30 days since we gave notice to Sky (13th Oct). 

when I first called the customer services when the number was not transferred when the line was installed I was informed that no request was showing in the system to port the number (not true as we sat with your sales rep in our front room and agreed everything)  they said it would now take 10 days (this was on 16th Set)

I was then told on the second call (26th Sept) that there was a delay from Sky and the number would be transferred on 4th Oct

number now rings dead when called(tried this morning). This is all the fault of Virgin Media and my elderly mother is about to lose her 40 year old phone number

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me.

I cannot guarantee I can get the number for you as it's not active, but I can try for you, if you'd like me to do this? 

As you say it's discontinued but we can try. If you'd like me to do this, let me know so I can go ahead and send you a quick PM now.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
TurbineGuy
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi John_GS

if you could this would be most helpful. My mother is very worried by this

thanks 

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sure, will send this now.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@TurbineGuy wrote:

Hi John_GS

no the number is now discontinued as it has been 30 days since we gave notice to Sky (13th Oct). 

As soon as you give notice to Sky your account becomes “pending disconnection”. Any request made to transfer a number from this point fails as the customer effectively no longer has any rights to the number, whether it remains active or not.

Best of luck. Rule of thumb - don’t cancel with your old provider when moving landline numbers. It is solely the new providers job to do this, & your request to your new provider is all that is required in the process.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
HariharPatel
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have the same problem, coming over form sky and mh nos is now lost and account closed with sky. V
Please can you help. The nos has been in the family for 40 years and we are in our both nearly 80 now
0 Kudos
HariharPatel
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have the same problem, coming over from sky to virgin and our landline nos is now lost and sky account closed.  Please can you help. The nos has been in the family for 40 years and we are in both nearly 80 now.

Please Help.

KR

Mr Patel

0 Kudos