Menu
Oojee
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Loose landline with new deal/bereavement

Hi everyone, 

First time posting here. 

I spoke to someone from the bereavement team after my Dad passed away as I wanted to change the account to my Mums details. I also wanted to get a better price for her package as it’s quite expensive and compared to all the new customer deals it’s ridiculously expensive. 

The lady said that the only way to get a new customer deal was to be disconnected and reconnected in my mums name with her details. She said the only thing was my Mum would have to have a new landline number, is this right? It seems very odd to me and I don’t understand why this would be. She’s and this number for over 30 years and she obviously doesn’t want to change it and especially not now.

She said otherwise all she could do is knock £10 off per month and an extra £6 off if she downgrades the internet to 100. She currently pays £105 per month and has been with virgin forever. Full house tv, 200m, talk unlimited, v6 box. 

I said I would think about it and look at other providers for a better deal so she said she would call me back Monday but she didn’t. She did say if she went with BT etc then she could keep her number so why on earth would virgin have to change it?! Seems like they’ll do anything to get out of offering their long standing customers any kind of deal and it’s a way of making sure you stay with them otherwise if you leave, yes you can keep your number but that would mean if you were to ever come back then you’ll have to have a new number!

If there was ever a time for a bit of compassion and help, I would have thought now would be it but clearly not. 

If anyone could shed any light on this for me please I would be most grateful. 

Best wishes to you all. 

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Loose landline with new deal/bereavement

Good Afternoon @Oojee 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your father, my thoughts are with you during this difficult time. 

From what you have described, it sounds as though the options haven't been explained very well. 

1.  Is a retention's deal, we would offer the best possible discount on the existing account, (this would be the one with your current landline number) 
  2. Is essentially a new customer offer, the previous account would be closed and a new one opened in your mothers name. 

The landline issue - If you moved your landline with an alternative provider we would leave the number open until the provider claimed it. 

We wouldn't be able to leave the number open if a new account was set up, as the old account would need to be shut before a new one can open. 

I hope that makes a little more sense, please do let me know if you would like to discuss this further. 

Best wishes 

Zak_M

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

if you want to keep the number you would have to leave VM as said - you would get a new customer deal at any other isp taking the land line number with you - it then gets silly - if after that deal was up you could come back to VM on a new customer deal and bring the landline back to VM - so keeping the same number

dont try to work it out or understand it as it makes no sense!

Tony
Oojee
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello Zak_M,

Thank you for your condolences, it’s much appreciated.

Those 2 choices were explained but the reason for not being able to keep the number was not explained and unfortunately your explanation doesn’t really help either, but thank you for taking the time to reply. 

Why when closing an account would Virgin need to disconnect the number? And, if this is a necessity and another provider can claim the number then why can’t Virgin claim it for the new account? 

And like Tony says, if my Mum went with another provider then at a later date came back to Virgin, Virgin would bring the number back anyway, so...why can’t she keep the number with a new account? It seems clear that the ability to do this is there and the only logic I can see on the part of Virgin for saying this is that it means it deters people from having a new account where they can then take a deal as a new customer. 

I’d have thought/hoped that Virgin would try their best to make this as easier a process as possible given the circumstances. I’d have also thought that the approx 30 years of money Virgin has received would count for something also, with my parents being very long standing customers. My mum is currently unsure of her future finances and a little help and compassion goes a long way. 

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
Oojee
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Tony, I agree it makes no sense whatsoever! The only conclusion I can come to is it’s just down to money, the customer doesn’t matter.

Edit: sorry, I haven’t figured out how to tag people yet! 

0 Kudos
Hetty_R
Forum Team Manager
Forum Team Manager
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Oojee, 

Thanks for your reply. 

I understand your frustration and would love to check again to see what exactly we can do to help. 

In order to do this I have sent you a private message, please reply when you can. 

Look forward to hearing from you, 

Hetty 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos
Oojee
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello Hetty, I can’t see a private message from you, I only have messages about badges. 

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Oojee wrote:

Hello Hetty, I can’t see a private message from you, I only have messages about badges. 

not email - top right corner of the page/screen - purple envelope 

Tony
0 Kudos
Oojee
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank Tony, that is the one I checked but I can’t see anything except 3 generic messages from the virgin community team.
0 Kudos
Oojee
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Update: I have been on chat for nearly 3 hours. After chatting with 1 person for 1 hr 10 mins we apparently get disconnected by a glitch. I wasn’t getting anywhere with her so I find it dubious there was a glitch. 2nd and 3rd people couldn’t help either. 4th person didn’t even attempt to. 

When I made the request to transfer the account I did it by chat and my mum didn’t know the password as she’s never used it so she was asked for something else which she did know. Apparently that system doesn’t exist now so no one was able to get access to the account. The only option is to wait for 5 days to get a new password sent out by post. (Myself and my Mum have been doing the chat but for ease I will just say me!)

1 person said it takes 2 weeks to transfer the account and asked me to wait patiently. I had already explained how the lady form bereavement put the account on hold until a new price was worked out. 

Another person, contradicting what the bereavement woman said, said they can’t sort out a new price until the account is transferred. 

One person said they can start the transfer process now, another said they can’t do it and only the bereavement team can do it. 

They all keep saying they’ll get someone to call me back within 24 hours, I’ve told them over and over, neither myself or my mum want to talk to anyone on the phone right now especially a stranger. With today’s technology and with virgin supplying internet, I’m sure this could be dealt with via chat or preferably email. Just mentioning my dad’s name is upsetting. They can’t see me in chat when I’m sitting replying and crying at the same time, I can’t do that on the phone! 

I have just been getting the run around for the past almost 2 weeks now. I’m truly sick of it. I asked the person in chat to pass me to the complaints dept but she said there wasn’t one so I asked to be transferred to the cancellation team so I can just cancel everything. She did that and no one has replied on the chat and it’s been over half hour now. 

What made me laugh, not literally, was on the bit of text on the transfer chat that says, ‘we really want to ensure we support all of our customers’. My dad has just passed away, my mums husband of a few days of off 51 years of marriage. I have never had such a difficult thing in my life to deal with as this and I can’t imagine what my mum is actually going through. So if Virgin can’t help, support or have any kind of compassion for a very long standing customer in these circumstances then what’s the point?! Utterly hopeless, frustrating and distressing. 

0 Kudos