cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Longer Phone adaptor cable required

Nourish
Tuning in

The 10cm adaptor far too short. I need one no longer then a metre to plug into a wallsocket but :-

There are 3 different types of BT to RJ11 Modem Cable:

• 2 pin Cross Wired Cable: This is the standard Modem Cable. Used for modems / Routers but some telphones and other devices do use these too.

• 4 pin Straight Wired Cable: Used with some Telephones and most Fax Machines.

• 4 pin Cross Wired Cable: Used for Sky Boxes and Most UK Telephones.

Which one do I need?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I would say 2-pin cross wired cable (first on your list). This should connect the centre two pins on the RJ11 plug (pins 3 and 4) to pins 2 and 5 on the BT plug (one pin in from each end of the BT plug). There are a couple of 'buts' with this though, which you may already be aware of so use at your own risk/judgement. 

Firstly your switchover has to have been completed and the old incoming line from the street is no longer in use. You should disconnect the old incoming line from the street from the master socket (to prevent your new phone line from the hub being fed back out into the street).

Secondly, when ordering these telecoms cables online, it is often a lucky-dip as to what the supplier actually sends you. Plenty of times I have ordered the correct item only to find the supplier sends something different or I have received an item which was labelled/packaged as per the required item only to find (by testing) the pinouts were nothing like the required configuration.

VM should offer to do these kinds of extension wiring modifications for you free of charge as part of the switchover process. Often though the customers who post on here may have more knowledge and practical skills than the people VM sends out to do the work!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

goslow
Alessandro Volta

What are you trying to do with the longer cable? Are you using it from the hub to an existing telephone wall socket to 'backfeed' the new phone connection from the hub into the existing wall sockets to make them work once again after switchover?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Nourish,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with the adaptor that you received from our landline switchover.

Have you been able to unplug the landline from the wall socket and moved it closer to the broadband Hub to connect to it using the adaptor?

Please let us know how you're getting on and if you need any additional help or assistance. 

Thank you. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Yes I want to plug it into a wall socket to backfeed the existing sockets as the phone next to the Hub is inconvenient .

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Nourish,

Unfortunately, all connections to the wall socket will soon become inactive as Virgin Media and other service providers aim to have all landline connections working through an adaptor and be connected to the Hub by the end of 2025.

If the location of the Hub and landline are inconvenient, we can arrange for a technician appointment to ensure that you're happy with the placement of the landline. Would this be something that you're interested in arranging? Please let us know.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

I've been wondering about this as well. The VM Tech seems not to understand that we just want to make use of our internal wiring to extend the connector port to a more convenient location. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @savik2,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! I understand that, however, with the new systems being in place, we do have to have the landline connected to the broadband Hub as the internal cabling is becoming obsolete as it's not as reliable as it once was.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I would say 2-pin cross wired cable (first on your list). This should connect the centre two pins on the RJ11 plug (pins 3 and 4) to pins 2 and 5 on the BT plug (one pin in from each end of the BT plug). There are a couple of 'buts' with this though, which you may already be aware of so use at your own risk/judgement. 

Firstly your switchover has to have been completed and the old incoming line from the street is no longer in use. You should disconnect the old incoming line from the street from the master socket (to prevent your new phone line from the hub being fed back out into the street).

Secondly, when ordering these telecoms cables online, it is often a lucky-dip as to what the supplier actually sends you. Plenty of times I have ordered the correct item only to find the supplier sends something different or I have received an item which was labelled/packaged as per the required item only to find (by testing) the pinouts were nothing like the required configuration.

VM should offer to do these kinds of extension wiring modifications for you free of charge as part of the switchover process. Often though the customers who post on here may have more knowledge and practical skills than the people VM sends out to do the work!

Nourish
Tuning in

It's a simple question really 'Forum Team' - what is the spec of the cable adaptor Virgin sent us - so I can buy a longer one

No Pauline - I just want a longer version of what Virgin sent me - 0.5mtr would be fine - but not 10cm!!