Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Loads of spam scam calls yesterday and 3 so far this morning.

Hi

Since Friday 6th November I have been getting loads of spam calls from different numbers that originate from up North, I let it go onto answerphone but non leave a message.

Yesterday I had about 9 calls, and today from 8am onwards I have had 3 calls so far.

I mean something weird is clearly happening, Im pretty sure that there will be no-one on the end of these calls if I answered, I did answer one yesterday and it was just silent.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Loads of spam scam calls yesterday and 3 so far this morning.

These are scam calls. Browse through the forums for the past few weeks and months to see many examples of the same scam.

The numbers on caller ID are generally fake and change for each new call.

Best ignore them, if you can, or set about screening them in some way (via answering machine, using a call blocker etc.)

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@goslow wrote:

These are scam calls. Browse through the forums for the past few weeks and months to see many examples of the same scam.

The numbers on caller ID are generally fake and change for each new call.

Best ignore them, if you can, or set about screening them in some way (via answering machine, using a call blocker etc.)

Thank you for your reply 

Since my post I had another call, and as you say all different numbers and when I search the number it doesn't bring anything up on websites like "who called me"

Hopefully they will just stop soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@mitch84 wrote:

<snip>

Hopefully they will just stop soon.

Sadly, they won't stop and, once they have identified your number as a working line, they will perhaps increase in frequency (although your 9 calls in a day is at the extreme end of annoying!).

The number of scam call attempts on my line seems to have increased in the last few days coinciding with the start of lockdown.

I have found that using a call blocker/screening device for the past few months has eliminated the problem for me as the scam calls are blocked from ever ringing my phone.

Read message #3 here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/High-number-of-nuisance-scam-calls/m-p/4451594

for an explanation of what is happening, and why, then message #4 for some possible suggestions about what to do about it.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi mitch84,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear your receiving scam calls, for nuisance calls you can register with the TPS Telephone Preference Service .

We can also change your number free of charge as a one off if these calls persist.

Regards

Paul.

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The TPS has only a very limited function and remit which is "live unsolicited sales or marketing calls" (from the link below)

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/pages/nuisance

It does not deal with scam calls.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Goslow,

I did advise this was more for unwanted calls, you are able to change the number which I would be able to help with, 

So I can help further I will invite you into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Paul_DN

You are mixing up my reply with the original post from the OP @mitch84.

Unfortunately the TPS keeps getting dropped into these kind of threads about scam robo-calls without it being made clear what the (very minimal) function of TPS is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Paul_DN wrote:

Hi mitch84,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear your receiving scam calls, for nuisance calls you can register with the TPS Telephone Preference Service .

We can also change your number free of charge as a one off if these calls persist.

Regards

Paul.

Hello Paul

I sent you a private message. Also I believe we already are signed up to TPS.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@mitch84

If you do wish to consider a change of telephone number, take a look at a couple of recent posts from @nodrogd (one of the forum VIPs) which explains how 'new' numbers are allocated. It might help in the decision making process as to whether you feel it is worthwhile or not to do so.

Hope you manage to sort something out to reduce the number of unwanted calls.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Changing-land-line-phone-number/m-p/4443995#M140898

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Changing-my-landline-number/m-p/4430198#M140302