cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line is dead: Why is it so hard to report a fault to VM?

fainbrog
Tuning in

My landline is playing up (well, when I say playing up, it's dead), seems others in the vicinity are having issues too. But it's so darned difficult to report a fault without spending an hour getting through to customer support.

I spoke to someone who arranged an engineer visit as they could see an issue, but the phone started working again, so I cancelled the appointment, but it's dead again now and I can't face another lengthy call.

It would be much more helpful to be able to log a fault online, or do an online chat to log it and someone just looks at it..or perhaps I'm missing something.

8 REPLIES 8

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @fainbrog

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums! 

I'm so sorry to hear you are facing this issue with your landline! 

I cannot see an outage that could be causing this in your area, can I confirm do you have a dial tone? 

Is the phone plugged into a master socket or extension? How many other pieces of equipment are connected at this same point? 

Have you been able to try another handset on the line at all?

Thanks again.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. The fault ref that I was given over the weekend when I first noticed the issue is F010037134. But, I assume this is now closed.

So, no, there's no dial tone. The phone is plugged into the master socket. The only other device plugged into the line is our alarm, which is also noting a lack go connection. Friends a few doors away are also having issues.

Thanks

It must be the same issue as I am reading f and having myself on this forum virgin are switching la dlibes over to be run through the super hub they say they have sent people emails and letters  about it but I assure  you I have jot had either my landline went dead on August  8 booked an engineer thought it was not working engineer  said they have started the switch over but not informed all their customers I had a hub 2 he had to install a new hub 3 that takes landline phones but still I have no landline so another engineer booked for next week and i get the feeling that virgin for some strange reason want to keep this all secret from us customers my engineer  said every call out he has had lately has been the very same scenario. Hope you get it sorted.

Morning fainbrog,
Thanks for coming back to the thread. I have checked the ticket F010037134 and this was closed as resolved on the 15th. I am therefore sorry you're still having an issue. Are you plugged into the master socket? It will have a larger socket and contain a logo of Virgin Media, NTL, Telewest or Nynex. Any extension sockets will be smaller and have no logo.
Do you have any other pieces of equipment connected to your phone socket? This may include: Other telephones, Personal Computers, Faxes, Modems, Satellite TV digiboxes. Micro-filters or ADSL modem or router. If so, is it more or less than 3? 
Finally, check the phone is seated in the base unit correctly & powered ON. Unplug the phone and check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket. If no other phone, let me know. 
Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks for the update.

Per the last reply; yes, plugged into the master socket and the only other thing using the phone is our security alarm, which is also showing that it's disconnected. The phone is charged and on and have tried another phone, which experiences the same issue.

Can you confirm that we haven't been moved to the new digital phone line and not been told?

Thanks

Yeah I can confirm that don't worry 🙂

You'll need a tech visit then in this case so I shall PM you now, get some details and get this booked in.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi fainbrog

Thanks for joining me on PM and providing me the details to be able to book this tech visit for the no dial tone on the landline. This visit will be viewable in your online account - virg.in/myVM - whereby you'll be able to amend it and cancel it if needed. 

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

John_GS
Forum Team

Hi @fainbrog - it'll show within an hour or two but have changed it as requested for you 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team