Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Line fault

My wife and I are both mid 80’s and have a fault with our landline which I have been unable to resolve. People have called us and the phone hasn’t rung and when we try to make calls sometimes even though there is a dialling tone the call doesn’t connect. The fault seems intermittent. I have bought a new handset, checked the master socket but the fault remains. My son has checked the website and the no faults are showing for the line but after trying to contact Virgin a recorded message indicated a fault for our postcode. I can’t find an email address for help and the phone just routes to recorded messages. We’re not very good with technology and rely heavily on our landline as we are both shielded in isolation. 

should I now book an engineer through the website and will there be a charge for that? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Line fault

Hello Bexythepirate

Sorry to hear of the landline issues experienced, we can understand the concern this can cause particularly during these difficult times when contact with loved ones is different than normal. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us via the forum and welcome to the community.

When you pick up the handset, do you get a dial tone? Also, if you try calling your landline number from a mobile phone, what happens?

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, dialling tone heard but after nothing, nothing, no connection to the number dialled.

yes I have tried, or rather my son and daughter have called from mobiles and they here a ringing tone (does not default to voicemail) but it doesn’t ring in the house. We thought it may have been our Panasonic handset which were only a year old but nonetheless we purchased new handsets and the yet the problem remains.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the additional information Bexythepirate. I'm going to send you a Private Message to get some further details for you to look into this further.

Looking forward to your response.

Rob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, an engineer visited on the 14/05 changed a box and re-wired something, tested the line and thought all was well. Unfortunately I still have the intermittent problem. My son and daughter have both tried to call us and hear a ringing tone their end but nothing heard from my phone, it doesn’t ring. Yet my 99 year old neighbour who relies on us for support called and her call was received. I tested the line my ringing my landline from my mobile, like my children I heard a ringing on my mobile but the home phone did not ring. I believe there is an intermittent line fault. I have tried to book an engineer online but a message comes up saying no online bookings are currently available. 

how do I book a further visit from an engineer please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bexythepirate,

Thanks for your post, are you able to confirm if this is only occurring on inbound calls to your landline or are you also having trouble with outbound calls as well? When you pick up the phone to make a call are you getting a dial tone every time? Do you have a standard type home phone or another type of phone? I'm currently trying to do remote diagnostics on your line but it's showing as idle.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Corey,

Thanks for your assistance. Yes standard home phone Panasonic). My first action was to replace the handset. The previous handset was Only 18 months old but I thought that could be the cause so I replaced it a few weeks ago but the fault remains. On dialling our I get a ring tone and the call will sometimes connect but at other times after dialling the number the call does not “ring”.the engineer visited on 14/5... did a couple of things with boxes and wiring (I’m sure you have the details on file) and thought all was well but the fault remains.

KR

David 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for the reply, Bexythepirate.

I'll send you a PM so that we can clear data protection and I can gather your account details.

Thanks,

Corey C

0 Kudos