Menu
lastings
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Line doesn't clear when I end a call (landline)

I've had a few incidents - the latest one today - when I hang up, but the line doesn't clear. This means that a) I can't make or receive any phone calls, as the other caller is still on the line (technically), but worse than that, I have been charged for the calls - almost 60 quid for making a 2 minute call to book a restaurant table the other week (I was on the phone apparently for 468 minutes), and before that, over 70 quid for a quick call to invite my neighbour for coffee (this time was billed for around 7 hours, ringing next door!!) Today, it happened again, as I was in a queue to book theatre tickets, and when I hung up, the line was still active. Each time I've reported to Virgin, who have sent someone to check the line and junction box, but it keeps happening, and getting my money back is a hassle after each issue. I'm pretty sure there are no settings on my phone causing this (and the Virgin engineers have checked as well), and have tried other phones to no effect. Does anyone know how I can stop this happening?

Heather

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Line doesn't clear when I end a call (landline)

Hi @lastings,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear that you've been having these issues with your calls continuing after you've hung up. If you've tried different handsets and the issue remains then that narrows down it unlikely being equipment related. Do you have any other landline sockets in the home that you can test this through?

Also, I appreciate that this may sound like a silly question (apologies), but can you clarify exactly what you're doing to hang up the phone call?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
lastings
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I have just one main socket - a Virgin engineer has been to test it twice and found nothing wrong. They both thought the error was most likely to be the junction box (which is a mile away) but neither have been able to clear the fault. As for how I hang up the phone, I guess like everybody else! I press the 'end call' button on the handset, the LED display shows the phone hanging up and goes back to the home screen. However, if I then press the 'make a call' button (sometimes a long time later) I find that the previous call is still 'on the line', there is no dial tone and I can neither hang up nor make another call.

0 Kudos
Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hey @lastings,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I would like to reach out to the field team for further assistance with this. I'll just send you a private message so that I can confirm some account details and we can go from there.

Just keep an eye on the purple envelope at the top of the page.

Many thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos