cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving Virgin next month - landline already disabled, is this right?

ephemerol
Dialled in

I've decided to leave Virgin as they are too expensive and their customer service is terrible. My contract is due to end on the 22nd of November.

I noticed yesterday that the landline had stopped working (no dialtone). I tried a different phone, still nothing, rebooted the router, still nothing. Then I checked on the router webpage and it said "Telephony - Disabled" (I have the phone connected to the back of the router).

I've tried to contact Virgin support but the online webchat thing says they don't support landlines (!!!) and I've not been able to get through to them any other way.

Could someone from Virgin please let me know if this is correct? Do you cut off the landline as soon as someone asks to leave? My contract is still valid until the 22nd of November and it states I have a landline with free weekend calls so why has it been cut off?

29 REPLIES 29

Joseph_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @ephemerol,

Welcome back to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear you have been having this issue with your landline, this is not something that would be cut off in advance so I would like to go about reviewing this with you, for me to do so I will need to confirm some information from you in a private message.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I've just replied.

Hi Joe, I tried replying to your latest message but it says...

You have reached the limit for number of private messages that you can send for now. Please try again later.

Sigh

Anyway, I've tried rebooting, resetting, unplugging, tried different cables, phones, etc.

The hub still says "Telephony(Disabled)" - this must be something that Virgin have disabled?

ephemerol
Dialled in

Engineer booked for Monday.

ephemerol
Dialled in

I've also raised a complaint with Virgin, here's their reply...

We want to assure you that we are committed to resolving your landline issue. A trouble call has ben raised to address this issue and the status on your router. Our technical team will investigate and take the necessary steps to restore your landline service as quickly as possible. We want to conclude by assuring you that we have received your concerns and have initiated the process to rectify the issue. If you have any further questions or require additional information, please do not hesitate to contact our customer support team. They are here to assist you and provide updates on the progress of resolving this matter.

It was going so well until the template response's typo in the second sentence. 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

ephemerol
Dialled in

Screenshot 2023-10-27 185431.png

ephemerol
Dialled in

I'm pretty sure that should say "Telephony (Enabled)" when it's working.

SaltnPepper
Tuning in

Yes, it should!

You have been cut off and the service withdrawn, possibly deliberate malice for you daring to leave, but much more likely down to sheer incompetence and a broken system at VM’s end!

Of course, as you are still paying for this service, it now counts as a ‘complete loss of service’ for compensation of around £9 per day until it is restored. You raised a complaint today, today doesn’t count and VM have two working days, next Monday and Tuesday to resolve it before the compo timer kicks in.

Do keep us informed as to what happens, you may well be in need of advice of how to escalate this to the Ombudsman service.