Menu
derby999
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Laneline only works when router is on ?

So I just moved in and got activated. Much to my surprise the landline through the normal virgin socket does not work, even though the previous occupant was using it up to a couple of weeks ago. Now it has to be plugged into the wifi router and only works while that is switched. That is ridiculous, that is not a proper landline, why would I want to leave the router on 24/7 so the phone works, what a waste of elec. None of my friends or family on Virgin have to do this. There is no mention of this in any of the info from Virgin either before purchasing or since. An internet phone line it not a proper land line and it should be stated as such.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Laneline only works when router is on ?

All new VM provision of landlines is now via the Hub3. Its a kind of VOIP service. Perfectly serviceable as long as the Hub is on, which shouldn't be a problem. Hubs have a very low consumption and switching it off and on means that there can be along lag to get the internet back and if there is a saving on electicity it is marginal. BT have announced plans to go this way fully by 2025. The future of fixed line telephony is here now with VM.

You might want to read this:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-information

(purple zone information)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
derby999
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info. They don't give you any of that information when you are purchasing though, which is very poor, people will naturally think it is a normal phone line if they are not told otherwise. I have re-read all the info and FAQ on the phone info pages on the bundle pages and there is no mention of it. That article should be on there, not buried in the help section about power cuts.

VM take note, give people all the information to prevent annoyed customers.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I should also have mentioned that bundles with the landline are always considerably cheaper than services, singly or bundled, without the landline. The discount for the landline is is well worth it.

And as for your point about information I have some, but not much sympathy. Fixed line telephony done this way is the new normal. Business is going this way and that started about 10 years ago - just before I retired- because it so much more sensible to use internet infrastructure than invest or maintain in the old fashioned separate line system.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Autodidact
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It is not perfectly servicable when the router is down, something which happens frequently with Virgin Media. You cannot use your landline even to call VM to report the problem. Of course, if you do have to call them via your mobile you then spend 45 minutes on hold, at considerable expense. There should be compensation for that. 

A landline, also known as a fixed line or hardline, implies a fixed, hard line going through the land, not some ethereal imp in an unreliable router. 

The deficiency of this landline-in-the-air system has been shown up during the lockdown, with every coal miner in the country working from home. The Virgin Media outage map for the urban areas has been glowing red for weeks, and most VM customers I know are getting at least two outings per day - with no landline to call and report the horror. 

The new normal always means something bad.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Autodidact wrote:

It is not perfectly servicable when the router is down, something which happens frequently with Virgin Media. You cannot use your landline even to call VM to report the problem. Of course, if you do have to call them via your mobile you then spend 45 minutes on hold, at considerable expense. There should be compensation for that. 

Why? All other providers charge you for calling Customer Services from non “internal” lines.

A landline, also known as a fixed line or hardline, implies a fixed, hard line going through the land, not some ethereal imp in an unreliable router. 

You do have a fixed line. It’s a coaxial cable. You are just cutting out the twisted pair copper line between the nearest optical node & your house. VM hub based lines do not use the internet. They use a separate RF link to the local fibre node. All FTTH households have no option but to use the hub for phone traffic, no matter what provider you are with.

The deficiency of this landline-in-the-air system has been shown up during the lockdown, with every coal miner in the country working from home. The Virgin Media outage map for the urban areas has been glowing red for weeks, and most VM customers I know are getting at least two outings per day - with no landline to call and report the horror. 

I see plenty of complaints here from customers with the old fixed lines having issues. Regularly every 2 or 3 years I have to get a tech out to fix the connection under the window that has gone rusty. Never had that problem with the coax, I get more or less the advertised speeds & rarely get outages.

The new normal always means something bad.

The same was said about Digital TV & DAB Radio, but now the majority have it, it’s not actually as bad as they thought.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos
Autodidact
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I know that other companies pursue such policies, but we should be discouraging this anti-social behaviour rather than shrugging it off. I had landlines for decades, and it was extremely rare to have the line go down. Even before the virus scare, the Virgin Media internet connection would go down for a few hours, on average, every few weeks, and in the last few months, presumably under pressure, there has been a cut in the service about twice a day. Friends and colleagues have reported similar experiences, as have a few Youtubers.

One expects to be charged if calling from a mobile, but being on hold for an hour is hardly reflective of a professional service. This, of course, applies to utility companies, government departments and some councils also.

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My previous workplace suffered from really tiny power cuts a few years back  - all the computers would go off for a few seconds - then come back on.  The phones did too.  A huge problem for the employees on the phones in the call centre.    There was one power cut that took a large portion of the locality out - traffic lights were and the whole office block/police station/job centre was too.  They dug up the street and put new electrics in  - that took months to complete.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
0 Kudos