Menu
Howie696
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Landline

My latest landline bill is over £300 since the 18th of January. Which is odd because several years ago our puppy chewed through the phone cable coming from the brown box attached to the outside of the house.

So we have not used a landline for at least five years. Has this happened to anyone else?

Needless to say, I will not be paying it. 😠

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline

The topic of unexpected call charges gets regular mentions on the forum.

Do your unexpected charges involve 09 premium rate numbers? There have been mentions of those in the past on the forum causing large unexpected bills where the customer reports no knowledge of the calls.

Also, breaking down the phone numbers on the bills can show that the numbers being billed, or the call durations or times of the calls or the rates being charged for a particular number are inconsistent with each other or the published rates which should be charged.

Unfortunately, these topics usually swiftly disappear off to private message and an explanation or outcome is rarely published on the forum.

Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Howie696,

Thanks for your post, I have checked your account and can see you have been in touch regarding this. Was this resolved for you?

Thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos
Howie696
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No, it hasn't been resolved yet. The number called is local (01772) but I do not recognise it. I googled it but there is no information available about it. I haven't phoned it myself in case it is a scam of some kind, I don't want to put myself at risk of more fraud.

I believe it is a fraud of some sort, but having googled landline fraud, there is again no information on why and how this happens. I read about number spoofing, but the information is scarce. 

We apparently have engineers coming today to investigate the 'fault'. I am hoping to show them the broken wire myself. 

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @Howie696 Thanks for posting

I am sorry there's confusion around your billing.  I would like to take a closer look on your behalf. To enable me to do so I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Howie696
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello, 

Thank you for your reply. I'm looking for the private message you mention. 

0 Kudos
Howie696
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Now I'm getting angry. I just paid the monthly bill using the automated payment line. I checked on my account and it says I must pay over £400 and my service has been suspended. The private message thing seems to have stalled and now my Internet is down.

My autistic daughter is no longer able to participate in her online learning from school. I am a victim of fraud, Virgin's twitter account has failed to reply at all.

I'm inclined to approach my MP, my local Councillor and the press to highlight this. It has spiraled from a problem to an utter disgrace. If you fail to take any further action, I will seek legal representation. 

0 Kudos
Howie696
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Private messaging seems to be broken, my bill seems to have gone up and my Internet connection has been blocked. 

0 Kudos
Howie696
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It turns out that following the engineer's visit there was a crossed line at the cabinet. He's made a note for the people upstream. 

0 Kudos