Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Landline used inscam

Our landline seems to have seen used by scammers posing as British Telecom.  There seems to be no way to report this to Virgin.  How can it be stopped?  Will it affect our charges?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline used inscam

Hi Helm1

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Can you expand on this as I'd like to help

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

We received a phone-call from a man in northern Scotland who had had a scam call from someone claiming to be British Telecom.  He called back the number they had used, which turned out to be ours.  We do not know how the scammers do this.  Do they hack into private phone lines so that their scam calls are charged to the owners of those lines, or do they just have their own lines produce random phone numbers?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me,

Have you reported these to Action Fraud

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes.  Not easy and very time-consuming, but we do have crime number.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Helm1 wrote:

We received a phone-call from a man in northern Scotland who had had a scam call from someone claiming to be British Telecom.  He called back the number they had used, which turned out to be ours.  We do not know how the scammers do this.  Do they hack into private phone lines so that their scam calls are charged to the owners of those lines, or do they just have their own lines produce random phone numbers?

The phone technology the scammers use allows them to insert a telephone number of their choosing as their outbound caller ID number. Often these are out of use or non-existent numbers. Recently though, there seems to have been an increase in posts on the forum about scammers using real telephone numbers as their fake caller IDs during scam calls.

The numbers the scammers abuse typically change quite frequently so, hopefully, the calls back to you from irate scam call recipients should not last too long until the scammers switch to another number.

See this post from last week with a similar issue and some suggestions to try until the problem (hopefully) goes away.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/My-telephone-number-used-in-a-scam-call/td-p/4464005

If it does not die out on its own you may need to post back for further help from VM.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update @Helm1 and for reporting it to the correct authorities. 

Stay safe. 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.  That's very helpful.

0 Kudos